Saturday, August 9, 2014

Three Loves Seven, Chapter 16, Part 2 - "Dinner, a Movie, and Coffee: A Case Study"

Dear Gentle Readers,

The next part of Chapter 16 is something I've always wanted to write up--a clinical dissection of late 20th-century/early 21st-century courtship practices. I remember one time trying explain it to a young person (probably one of my own kids) and how complicated it all sounded when I talked about such things as making the invitation, paying the bill, what not to talk about, etc. It really is a process you learn by doing and people skilled at it give one another the proper cues so that it works like a timed dance.

I don't know if you will find this amusing or tedious, but here it is...

Love
Pops





Personal Journal Entry
U.S. Time:             Monday, August 6, 2012
Island Time:         Dragon, Month 6, Day 19, Xingqi 1,
Project Time:     Week 7, Day 2

The “lab” classes in American social etiquette were run this evening. I suppose they met their learning objectives that I had put into the lesson plan, but with a couple of unforeseen consequences (but I’ll get into those later). We had been scripting actions and rehearsing different scenarios every night since last Wednesday, so putting it all together tonight had the feeling of a theatre-in-the-round, high-school drama production, except that we were all the players as well as the audience.

I got the Security Council to OK the girls taking the day off early from their Monday chores so that they could do prep at each of the designated lab sites. The first staging was to pick up Feng. Lee had given me permission to use the jeep for the exercise, so all of the girls not part of the restaurant crew (Qin Qin, Ba, Yi, Ling, Wen, and Nu) all met me at the carport at the Metal Element workyard. They piled in the back as I headed west on the dirt road to the residential compound for Feng and Qi. Upon arrival, I hopped out as the “gallery” of attentive students followed me to the front door. Xiao Mei answered, playing the part of Feng’s older relative.

     “Yes, can I help you?”
     “Hello, I’m Clete Wong. I’m here to pick up Feng. I’m sure she must have told you.”
     “You late.”
     “Really? By my watch I’m right on time.”
     “You need to reset watch. Is slow. You do it now.”
     “How much?”
     “Five minute late, so you figure it out.”
     So I reset my watch. “Is she ready?”
     “What you do for a living?”
     “I’m a geologist.”
      “What kind of money you earn?”
     “I do OK. I pay the bills. Enough for extras. Say, is she ready yet?”
     “What time you have her back?”
     “Um … I thought we’d get coffee afterward, so it could vary …”
     “I stay up to make sure you do what you say.”
     “Really, there’s no need for that. We’re both grown-ups …”
     “You seem like a tricky fellow to me. I’m not sure she should go out with you.”
     “Can I talk to Feng first? …”

That was enough. I broke out of character.

     “MEI! We didn’t rehearse this. Where the hell is this coming from?”
     “I don’t know? You said we should feel free to improvise. How am I doing?”
     “Jesus Christ! You sound like a fussy old cock-blockin’ Chinese father. I feel like I’m taking her to the fuckin’ senior prom.”
     “That’s good right?”
     “Too good. You don’t even HAVE a father to be this astute at ridiculing him.”
     “I’m just making sure that you will be on your best behavior with my relative. I’m just thinking of things my mother would say if a man came for me.”
     “Puts a whole ’nother light on Lum. Good God! And she’s going to let you go off to college in another country? I guess even hippie chicks turn into mother bears. Let’s try to get to the next step shall we?”
     “OK boy. You sit there and wait.” 

The girls all howled with laughter at that order. I threw my best dagger-look at her and sat down.

     “She still getting ready. Can I get you some tea?”
     “Oh yeah, sure. I’m parched. That would be great.”
     “Dr. Wong?”

It was her turn to drop out of character.

     “What?”
     “Um, it’s rude to take me up on the first offer.”
     “Not in America.”
     “But what if we are not Americans in America? AND you ARE trying to impress her kinsman as being a worthy suitor, are you not?”
     “Sigh. OK. You got a point. No thanks. I’m fine.”
     “You sure? Very warm tonight. You must be thirsty.”
     “We’re not going to be that long. Thank you just the same.”
     “Is no trouble to get you something. Please.”
     “Very well, if you insist. It’s quite kind of you to go to the trouble.”

At that point, all the girls broke into applause. “What the hell is that all about?” But I knew what it was about. Sarcasm. Ling spoke.

“You actually waited to the third offer. Dr. Wong, what are you prepared to pay me to keep secret from my mother that you really DO know how to be polite if you just try?”

This lab session was turning into a major lesson in my humility.
Tea was served, further niceties were exchanged—as rehearsed—and eventually Feng emerged from the personal area. I had expected her to be in a tidy version of the black and white work uniform, but she was in a long cotton gown. It was yellow with black trim which reminded me of the wings of a tiger swallowtail butterfly, with embroidery on the hems, slit up the sides—not billowy, tailored somewhat close to the body, but not like a cheongsam or qipao. Over that she wore a turquoise vest, open in front. But the most striking thing was her hair. Her body-length locks had been braided and plaited to hold an impressive dual-wing-like ornament on her head, with tassels, decorated pins, and a couple of fresh flowers. The Manchurian up-style headdress had survived the trip to the tropics and become streamline, but still no less elaborate.

     “WOW. You look great. When do you ever wear a garment like that?”
     “Other than today? We have festival days that we observe and dress for. Do you like it? It’s many years old. Lum sewed it, it but I did the embroidery.”
     “But that hair! I’ve never seen anything so … um, fanciful and elaborate. How long did it take to put that up?”
     “You like it?” she said. “Thank you. Fei and Jie helped me with it quite a bit. It’s a traditional setting, but with some modifications. I thought you might find it interesting. The girls need to practice preparing hair in the formal Man style. It forces one to keep one’s neck straight. That’s quite a handsome coat you have on yourself, Professor. Red, white, and black? A drastic change from your field khakis.”
     “Thanks. An oversize double houndstooth weave. When I do wear a sport coat I like ’em a little on the loud side.”
     “You must be hot though?”
     “Yep. It’s wool. What else is new?” I got out my bandana and wiped my brow dry. I still had yet to experience a dry day on Dog Island. “I’ll wring out my jacket when I get home after giving it my own special saltwater rinse. Shall we be on our way?”

It turned out that Feng’s place was the best place to stage the restaurant, so we played out the fiction of leaving, driving down the road, turning around, and returning as if to a different location. Ling played the part of the parking valet and we entered the dining porch. Faye greeted us.

     “Two for dinner? I can seat you now. Please follow me.”
     “Great opening.” I narrated the scenario for the students as we proceeded. “Hostess leads. Woman follows hostess. Man follows woman. Hostess pulls out chair, presumably for woman, the seat with the better view at the selected table. Woman sits. Man sits. Are there menus?”
     “No, we didn’t have time to make something up,” said Fei, “so we’ll just speak the offerings. The server will be right with you.”
    
Ling’s home would later be the coffee house with her as the manager and her crew being Wen and Nu. Ba’s home already served as the Island’s “Bijou Theatre” so to speak, so we would just use it to stage the movie viewing, especially since it was nearby Feng’s home. Instead of the old VCR-CRT combo they were used to watching, I brought my largest format laptop with downloaded video content. In addition to Ba, the rest of the theatre crew was Qin Qin and Yi. 

     “Now waitress comes and introduces herself.”
     Good night, my name is Jie, and I will be your server tonight.”
     “Very good, but a reminder, Good ‘evening’ is the greeting. Good ‘night’ is the farewell.”
     “Oh, right. I always get them mixed up. Oh. Um. Can I get you something to drink?”
     “I’ll have an iced tea, please.”
     “What is iced tea?” asked Feng.
     “It’s a black tea that is served chilled, with ice cubes in it. Most people sugar it up. Some add lemon or both.”
     “I’ve only heard of lemons. We’ve never had them.”
     “Angel? Did we find a substitute?”
     “We have kalimanci.”
     “Ah,” said Feng, “an excellent additive to tea.”
     “Get her an iced tea too. Try to make it up the way I showed you. Did we manage to form some ice?”
     “We did!” said Angel. “There’s one tray. It finally hardened up in time. I’ve been watching and checking it all day!”
     “You let all the cold air out by doing that. That’s why it took all day. Leave half of the tray, the coffee shop is going to need them later. Coffee crew remember to take the ice.”
     “Don’t you worry Professor. I’ve got this,” assured Angel. Faye, Angel, and Xiao Mei Mary—the “restaurant staff”—went into a huddle trying to remember how to make the iced tea. They eventually got it right and brought two glasses out.
     “Bring out the sugar, the whole bag,” I said.
     “Why the sugar?” asked Feng.
     “For your edification I am going to adjust the sweetness of mine to match the usual American taste for you to try.” The bag was brought out and I promptly put in two teaspoons.
     “Wah! So much!” said Feng.
     “Hmmm. Still not right,” I said and added another spoonful and a half. “Yeah, that’s about right if you ask for it presweetened. Take a sip.” She did.
     “Mmmf. Ugh! That is so sweet it hurts my teeth!” The staff gathered round.
     “Can we try it too?” said Xiao Mei.
     “Sure go ahead.” And they passed around the glass eliciting wide-eyed grimaces from all.
     “That is so sweet,” complained Faye, “that it hardly tastes like anything at all! So overpowering!”
     “Yeah,” I said. “It’s too much for even me, now that I’ve been eating here for several weeks. Now you know why we Americans are so fat. Well, waitress what’s for dinner?
     “Our specials tonight are spaghetti primavera, or noodles and vegetables, or spring pasta.”
     “What’s the difference between them?” I asked.
     “It’s all the same dish, just three different names just to give you a choice.”
     “Wow, just like a real Italian restaurant. So where did you get noodles from? I’ve never seen anyone prepare noodles here on the island.”
     “There are a few boxes in storage, but don’t worry we picked out all of the bugs since we know you don’t like them. We got the tomato sauce from some of the MRE rations you brought. And the herb is mostly the basil we grow here. We do make our own noodles but only once in a great while. Mostly on New Year and Birthdays. It’s a lot of work.”
     “Shall I order for both of us?”
     “Does it really matter?”
     “We need to keep up the façade for the sake of the young ones’ education. Do not rupture the drama please.”
     “Oh, very well. Please. I trust your judgment implicitly.”
     “Thank you. Two spaghetti primavera please.”

I was amazed at how intently the nine girls were concentrating on this introduction into the transactions of social life in Los Angeles. When the “spaghetti” came out, all gathered to observe the way the American handled a fork and knife. I looked at Feng when her plate was set in front of her. She did not look happy.

     “Something wrong?”
     “It’s nothing.”
     “What?”
     “I know we don’t have any little surfboards, I was hoping it would be on fire.”
     “ANGEL?” She appeared immediately. “Do you have that bottle I brought?”
     “OH! The Barcardi 151?” It was business gift trading stock that I had packed. She bowed and quickly returned with it. I had forgotten this step. I doused her plate and put my pocket lighter to it. A nice slow blue flame engulfed her dinner. Feng smiled and ooohs and ahhhs surrounded us. It eventually went out and I waited until she approved of its subsequent taste before starting in on mine, just in case we had to trade. It had gotten dark enough that the effect was startling enough.
     “May I keep the rest?” asked Feng. “I’d like to experiment with it? If I could?”
     “I have three more bottles. They’re yours if you promise not to drink more than one shot a night. Too much of that stuff’ll put you on the floor.”
     “What OTHER business gifts did you bring? Besides alcohol and tobacco?”
     “Are you hoping for Schedule 1 narcotics? Or RPG launchers?”
     “I beg your pardon?”
     “I’ll show you everything later. Just remember that my business associates tend to be men. Men who do hazardous work in remote places.

Forks, spoons, and knives were scrounged up, remnants of life from back in the days when there were occasional tourists. The girls were all quick-studies of course and I had them twirling their noodles, careful not to get a drop of sauce on their white shirts. If I haven’t mentioned it, Dog Islanders eat and and prepare their food so that it is consumed using either chopsticks, the shovel-like Chinese soup spoon, or just bare hands.

     “Theatre crew needs to get ready,” I warned. “Curtain is imminent. Do you need to conference?”
     “We want to watch how you pay the bill first,” insisted Qin Qin.
     “Very well.” I signaled to Angel. She stepped right up.
     “Is everything all right?”
     “It’s been perfect. But my lady friend and I need to get to a show, so may I have the check now please?”
     “So, you are paying for the dinner then?” asked Feng.
     “Yes. Since I invited you, I am the host. If you decide you like my company and wish to reciprocate, you might then choose to invite me in turn at some future time.”
     “But if I do not like you and rather not go out socially with you, what do I do?”
     “You just politely refuse any future advances or invitations I might make. If I get a couple of no’s from you, I’ll get the message and stop asking.”
     “But am I not in your debt for having eaten a meal that you paid for?”
     “No. A man gains benefit, or gains face, from the pleasure he derives from your company or from being seen in public as someone worthy of your time. If the man decides he prefers not to pursue the relationship, he will just not extend any more invitations.”
     “These methods of making future refusals are very subtle,” observed Feng. “There are several opportunities for hurt feelings that I can see.”
     “That’s the peril of American-style courtship where people are in charge of finding their own matches. Young people have to perform a series of these auditions we call dates. Some people are more skilled at making a clean but gentle break than others. It’s all part of the process. Young people don’t invest too much self-worth in the introductory steps. Or they shouldn’t.”
     “You were married before, right Dr. Wong?” asked Ba.
     “That’s correct.”
     “Can you tell us about your courtship with your wife?”
     “It’s not considered good form, or being very polite, to talk about previous partners one may have had when on a date with someone else. Especially a first date.”
     “Yeah, but this is not REALLY a date with Auntie Feng, is it?” asked Eve. I looked over at Feng. She put her eyes down, and then brought them back up to look at me. She seemed to actually be having fun.
     “I was instructed not to ‘rupture the drama,’” she said raising her eyebrows and then her chin. “I don’t know about you, but I … am on my first date … both with you … and … ever.”

GODDAMN, I REALLY wanted to dodge the topic. So I went for a save with an option that I thought would shut things down fast.

    “If the topic comes up organically, AND if Miss Feng brings it up … I’ll talk about it.” I could not imagine ‘Her Serene and Very Proper and Courteous Highness, the Princess Feng, ever broaching the subject. I went to a fast segue, “But we’ve got to get to a movie.”
     “Awww,” whined Qin Qin. “I was ready to hear something juicy.”
     Check please,” I said. Angel brought over a slip of paper I showed her how to draw up. I went over all the details, the assessment of tax, and showed them how to calculate a 20% tip, explaining how wait staff are paid in the U.S.  As soon as I handed over $27 and left $5 on the table, the payment lesson was over and the movie crew ran to Da Mei’s to set up the movie.
     “That’ll be 20 bucks even,” said Qin Qin at our makeshift box office. I handed her two tens and she issued me two tickets. We walked over to the front door and Eve took the tickets, tore them in half and handed me back the stubs.
     “How about some popcorn before we take our seats?” I suggested.
     “I would like that, whatever it is,” said Feng.
     “Let’s see what the girls came up.” We went over to the “candy counter.”
     “What can I get you?” said Ba.
     “Got any popcorn?”
     “We call it popcorn.”
     “Let’s have a look. What is this?”
     “We asked Auntie Lee to include popcorn in our next cargo shipment because this made us very curious about it. But we went out like you suggested and found some unhulled rice.”
     “Really? Where?”
     “Auntie Lum sent us out to the wild rice plants leftover from when we used to grow it here. We didn’t find that much, but there were enough grains for us to pop up this one bowl full.”
     “Ah, the native Dog Island varietal.”

I said that casting my glance at Feng. She gave me sly look. Perhaps their homegrown rice was the gold currency on Dog Island I wondered.

     “They look like Rice Krispies sort of. Did you do anything with it to simulate butter like I suggested?”
     “We melted some pork lard, diced some skin and fried that up into little bits and put it all over the popped rice.”
     “Salt?”
     “We put salt on it too, like you said.”
     “Hmm. Not bad. Try some. Not the same, but just about the same flavor punch.” She took some in her hand and put it in her mouth.
     “Ugh!” said Feng. “Again with too much intensity! Is all American food like this?”
     “Fraid so. Two large waters then…”
     We sat down on Mei’s couch and Qin Qin clicked the play button on my laptop.
     What are we watching?” asked Feng.
     A comedy from several years back. I downloaded it a few days ago.” The title card came on screen.
     “Wah. A promising title. The Princess Bride.
     “Thought it might catch the attention of everyone here. Ever seen it?”
     “No. What’s it about?”
     “A boy meets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl.”
     “How very typical. What makes it unique?”
     “Mostly, the fact that it’s an adult film with no violence or profanity. I would say it takes contemporary ideas, American ideas I guess, and dresses them up in fairy tale costume.”
     “But that is what all storytellers do with old stories, do they not?”
     “No doubt. I’m interested to see how successful this director is with entertaining you. It continues to be quite popular with many in the U.S. I figured it was either this or Titanic. . .”
     “Shh. It’s starting!” announced Eve officiously as she stood up. All the girls had sat down about us to watch as well. “Oh, and I nearly forgot, please silence all cell phones and digital communication devices at this time.”

I dutifully got out my satellite phone and turned it off. Since Feng had no further interest in densely flavored movie snacks, we let the girls eat all the “popcorn”; I also had some candy bars in my provisions that I let Eight (Ba) sell back to me and the others. I noticed the girls only took the tiniest of nibbles from the chocolate bars. And eventually the movie ended.

     “Now what?” asked Feng.
     “A few people sit and watch the credits roll by, most get up and go.”
     “What do you do?”
     “I watch the credits. Sometimes a director puts extra content in during them or after them. But I like to see the names and imagine all those people working on the project. Seems like a nice act of gratitude. Plus, you get to hear the music again and I think it winds you down as get set to return to the outside world.”
     “Interesting. When we finish a tape here, I do not. But then, we’ve seen everything many times over.”
     “Maybe we should set up a movie night. Start catching you girls up.”
     Hai!” yelled the girls.
     “Sounds like a waste of valuable time. Clete, would you please restrain yourself and your suggestions?” said Feng.
     “I’m interfering and committing cultural imperialism aren’t I?”
     “Maybe you are smart Dr. Wong.”
     “Well then, the next line in the script is: Would you like to get a cup of coffee?”
     “I would like that very much.”
     “OK then, Coffee Crew is on deck next. Everybody into the jeep.”

So we got up, left the “theatre” and headed over to Lee and Ling’s which I had designated as the coffee house. Coffee crew got into its places.

     “Welcome to Starbucks,” said Ling cheerily, “what can I get you?”
     “Go ahead, just the way I told you.” I said.
     Feng thought and then ordered. “Um, iced coffee, um, dark roast, decaf, and uh, no … room.”
     “What size?”
     “I forget, what are your sizes?”
     “Small…”
     “Tall…” I corrected.
     “That’s right, Tall, Grounded …”
     “Grande,” I corrected.
     “Gurr-ahn-day, … and TWENTY!”
      “Venti!” I corrected once again.
     “So which one is small again?” They all looked at me.
     “Tall.”
     “THAT,” said Feng, “doesn’t make any sense.”
     “Very good, anything for you sir?”
     “Tall latte.”
     “That will be $5.87.” I gave her a ten. She gave me change.
     “You did not add the 20 percent,” noted Feng.
     “No. In this kind of place you put a tip, if you feel like it, into a container that they have at the front.”
     “So it is not mandatory like in the restaurant where you eat a meal?”
     “No. It’s not really mandatory there either. But if you give less than 10% it’s a signal of displeasure.”
     “So how much do you give here?”
     “I think most people who tip in a coffee house just drop the change they’ve received into the jar,” which I did. “Or they at least put $1 in.”
     “These rules are very complicated and precise.”
     “They can be.”

Gwen prepped the iced coffee, hammering the remaining ice cubes into shards, scooping them and two teaspoons of instant coffee into a cup, and then adding water. In the meantime, Newton had the job of barista and boiled some water for my latte, essentially making me a cup of instant into which she heaped two generous tablespoons of nondairy creamer and an untold amount of sugar. She just remembered the lesson of the ice tea and piled in what she thought were “lots.” We took our drinks and sat down outside at a table and chairs I had dragged out of my cottage.

     “Now what?” asked Feng.
     “Well, if we were a real American couple who’d been together a bit, we’d spend the next hour passing the time in the psychobabble I talked about. If we were a married couple who’d been together for years, we might say nothing to each other. But since we’re just getting acquainted, we now have a common point of reference, the movie, and so we can talk about it.”
     “In what way?”
     “Whether we liked it or not, how it could have been better, what was the best part, criticizing the acting or the jokes. . . that kind of thing.”
     “Oh. If that’s the case, let’s just start with the pretext of the prince even marrying that girl. Her father was obviously a landowner, but not very prosperous at all, so I hardly think …”

And so on and on she went as I found myself listening to a thorough social, political, and caste deconstruction of the imaginary kingdom we had just watched. It was the first time I’d seen that that movie with a REAL princess, and evidently someone with that job title can interpolate and imply a lot. I just wonder what the discussion would be if any of the other cousins her age had watched it with us.

     “So what do you think the core idea was?” she asked me.
     “I think it was about the rarity of true love.”
     “That’s what they called it, but I think it’s something else.”
     “And so that would be?”
     “Loyalty. I think they were truly loyal to each other. They made their pledges of absolute faith to each other and no one else would do. I liked that part a lot.”
     “Me too. That quality means a lot to me.”
     “And while we are on that subject.”
     “Yes?”
     “Tell me about how you met your former wife.”
     “Feng!”
     “I’m sorry. Was that inartfully done?”
     “It’s just not a ‘first date’ question!”
     “AWWW!”

The response was the collective outcry of the Second Princesses—a veritable Greek chorus. The were such silent observers it had been easy to forget they were there observing my clumsy dating technique.

     “You said if she brought it up it was OK.” I couldn’t identify that commentator, but I had a guess.

     “Hear me out,” said Feng. “If I were starting a courtship with a divorced man, the main question in my head would who be, ‘Was he the disloyal one in that relationship?’ I think he would want to answer that one as soon as possible if cared at all about the woman.”
     “That’s reasonable. But still seems inappropriate to me. For accelerated cases like you, it would be a ripe topic for Date #2,” I hesitated. “BUT, I don’t know why I should share any personal information with you when you all are so tight-lipped about yourselves. Everything is a secret here.”
     “I’m sorry Clete,” said Feng. “I’m not being fair. I retract the question.”
     “How about a deal? If I answer your question, you promise to answer any question about your past that I want to ask?”
     Feng glanced over at Gwen. Feng then bit her lip and then took a deep breath.  “Very well. I am agreed.”
     “What time is it?” I asked.
     “Does it matter?” asked Ling in return.
     “Your mother will turn off the generator soon. This might take a while. . .”
     “She’s delaying until you’re done. I am to give her the signal. She might even be listening from under that window there. You are to take as long as you need. Even then we can sit in the dark.”
     “Truly girls. There are more interesting stories than how this nerdy fellow met his wife.”
     “You have to remember,” said Xiao Mei, “we’ve never heard anybody’s story. We’re isolated here.” Her tone was so earnest, so curious, but so piteous.
     “I suppose. Sigh. The year was 1981 and I was working on completing my master’s degree in geology at the University of S…
     “YAY!!”


© Copyright 2012 by Vincent Way, all rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!