Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Malibu afternoon picture of the day - Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Dear family, friends, and gentle readers,

Your picture of the day has been moved to noon-ish since I had to go get my eyes checked today.


I'm sure this would have been just cloud cover had I show up at 7:30 AM as usual. Here's another view--the "macaroni" clouds.

I've been going to the same optometrist office in Downtown LA since I was age 22. I went there because I could get there and back on a lunch hour (I was a clerk at the LA Municipal Court). The original doctor is dead. You find that when you reach middle age, you outlive all of your regular service professionals. It's bothersome, but reassuring to see that civilization moves on around you.

The stairs up to Bunker Hill.
Some say dingy, but some say
it has character...

On my way back to the train station, I could not help but snap pictures of my old  workplace landscapes to contrast against where I work in Malibu now.

Angels Flight upper
terminal
I walked up Bunker Hill where I used to work. The stairs on the left take you up alongside the Angel's Flight funicular trolley car. 

They keep trying to revive this old relic, but it's just too costly and dangerous to ride. It's on hiatus because someone died in a crash when it was last open. 

View from the top of Bunker Hill to the east. You see some of the extant old office bldgs. of old L.A.
This used to be the
Security Pacific Bank
HQ where I worked.




















Concrete and more
concrete!






I heard that you could see the Pacific Ocean from the higher floors of our office building at Security Pacific Bank. I always wanted to take a look, but us peon IT workers were not allowed on those floors.

I also heard the ATM up on those floor only dispensed $100 bills.

If I worked there still, I'd be home within 50 minutes...






Well, I did those penthouse guys one better and can now get out of my chair take 35 paces and see the ocean and feel the breeze.

We may not have as many choices for lunch, and I cannot get to my eye doctor and back in one hour, but I like it where I am right now for the time being.

Love,
Pops













No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!