Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Malibu morning picture of the day - Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

It's a blue-on-blue day today at the Malibu coast:





















Another cool, bluish atmosphere. It looks like this all around. And, it was about 60 Fahrenheit driving in today, so perhaps SoCal "summer" may be over, until the next heat wave.

No second look today. It's all pretty consistent just like above, so let me share something else with you.
Neiman-Marcus Christmas 1962. pp. 2-3.


























Now, what the hell is this? you may ask. Why, it's the extravagant, showstopping offering in the Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog of 1962. For those of you who don't know, Neiman-Marcus always puts out an Xmas book which includes some ridiculously expensive thing that us mere mortals can dream about, and trip out on the vicarious luxury of it all. This is the catalog when I was but 4 years old--probably not even talking very well then.

I'm doing some writerly research of the time and on a lark I ordered some N-M catalogs on eBay that are from the time period I'm interested in. When I get bored of blue skies, I'll probably throw pictures from my early time period in once in a while.

So, for a mere 11,500 1962-valued U.S. dollars, you could get your own Chinese junk. I guess I was attracted to this pic because of the early 60s media-take on Chinese-ness. How exotic we all were back then! I like that the cabin man-boy has a slightly pissed-off look on his face.

What's funny to me is how nearly all the stuff on the pier, except for the radio and the ice bucket, looks pretty much like high-end stuff you'd buy today, especially the Louis Vuitton bags. The woman's look is extremely of her time, especially the now-politically-incorrect Chincilla fur shawl.

Anyway, hope this puts you in a mood start thinking about your Christmas shopping and what kind of junk you'll be giving and getting this year.

Love and Joy Gin
Pops









No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!