Friday, September 18, 2015

Malibu morning picture of the day and "Curtis" - Friday, September 18, 2015

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

It's Friday, thanks be to God, and here's your picture of the day.


























Just another clear, blue-on-blue, late summer day in Malibu with hundreds of flags flying on the lawn...

No need for a second statement of this, so I will dispense.

However, I want to share some name art on an East Holly wall (Berendo off Melrose) that deserves to be seen, but is not quite elaborate enough for my Thursday showcase.

Artist Papio20 (?), Rest in Peace Curtis, paint on stucco.
























This looks like an elegiac, memorial piece of art, remembering a fellow named Curtis. This is a very nice name treatment. But to me there's just something a little too nice, a little too polished, a little too balanced, a little too pleasant, a little too tame about it.

It has wonderful craftsmanship, great can control. I even like that little light-blue "belly-button" that the artist has put there in-between "Peace" and the signature, just to prove that they can create 3D texture in this background. If you substituted out the "Rest in Peace" and put in "Old-Time, Seaside, Salt-Water Taffy", it would be just perfect, don't you think?



Let's just contrast some of the name art from yesterday. There's a real difference in verve and energy.

Don't get me wrong. I love "Curtis" otherwise I wouldn't bother showing you. (There are a lot of lousy things up on walls in East Holly that will NOT show you, trust me...), but this difference in aesthetics and approach and energy is what separates what graffiti artists think of what they do, versus just outdoor art done by others.

I almost suspect the artist Papio20 is fully capable of executing something like Quintet to the right, but held himself back because perhaps this was a made-to-order commission. Anyway, aren't these great Ladies and Gentlemen? Let's give them all a big hand!

And with that parting observation, I wish you all a wonderful last weekend of seasonal summer. I hope you are doing something fun or interesting, or better yet, both.

Love,
Pops

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!