Friday, June 5, 2015

Malibu morning picture of the day - Friday, June 5, 2015 (Pico fish joint bonus)

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

It's Friday people. Rejoice and be glad (if you're on the M-F work schedule that is...).

























Serial # JG15-04 (5)


Today my camera phone wanted me to be in Wuthering Heights for some strange reason. It did NOT look this dramatic or gothic this morning by any means, but here it is FWIW.

A more realistic view of today's June Gloom morning is here for the second look. I guess it is a little darker than other days this week, but no reason to get into a gloomy mood.

I took the bus into work today and here's a little bit of spring color that the wild plant life of East Hollywood decided to give me today.

These are bushes growing in the little bit of dirt between an old grocery store warehouse and what used to be a small diner at the corner of Santa Monica and Vermont. The diner was functional when I was a small child, called the College Grill, being nearby L.A. City College. My family never went there. It closed before I reached my teens, and got boarded up. It has been vacant ever since for over 40 years, housing only a tiny room with a pass-through window from which a petty merchant sells gum, candy, and snacks to people waiting for the bus.

One only guesses that the proprietor died or retired, and none of the successor heirs ever had any capital to do anything with it.

BUT... the flowers are nice.

Last night I had to go to the hardware store before going home, so I went to the Lowe's nearest my house on Pico. I love driving through other so-called blighted neighborhoods because you run across stuff like this:

Artist: unattributed, Trust Your Struggle, paint on stucco.

The front door entrance
This is a fried-fish restaurant on the corner of Pico and Redondo. Tres kewl. Had to park, get out, and snap a few. There is even more art neighboring here and I'll throw those up in weeks to come. This is out of my usual field of focus. This is facing west, so the sun is setting above this store and playing havoc with colors and lighting.




When you get in close, the camera does pick up the real colors.

I shoulda gone in and bought some fish, but I only had a few minutes on the parking meter.

I'll have to make it back. There were several Caribbean/Jamaican kind of joints in this neighborhood.

I think I may have stumbled on the equivalent of "Little West Indies." It took forever to get to top shot from across the street because the traffic was so heavy. So I think I discovered the locals' bypass for going South-North as an alternative to La Brea. La Brea forks off to Redondo and it looks like Redondo is a clear regulated shot all the way down to Rodeo, so if you need a shortcut in that area, keep that in mind.

Anyway, ain't this a delicious find? I was loving these colors.

I'm diggin' the person holding up the front of the joint so that you can come in.

Hope you have wonderful plans for this weekend. Stay healthy and strong.



Love,
Pops
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!