Monday, June 15, 2015

Malibu morning picture of the day - Monday, June 15, 2015

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

Happy Monday to you! Still June here out in So Cal and we are still in the season of morning subtlety.

Serial # JG15-10 (15)
























Cool, a bit drizzly today. Supposedly inland it will go up into the 90s. Hoping you had a nice weekend. Me, I did a good deed and helped my favorite nonprofit (my community band) move from their home-rehearsal space to another. But I discovered I'm too old (55+) to be doing that kind of thing anymore. I sprained a foot and the pain manifested this morning when I thought I'd get back to riding my bike partway to work. Couldn't get one block without grimacing, so that'll have to wait...

Artist unattributed, Fat + Ugly,
2015, sticker on metal pole.
Did you know that other than spray paint, another medium of street artists is to design and have stickers made up? I always wondered at pointless stickers that I would see on walls, trash bins, fences, etc. since I tend to always have my "marketing director" hat on, expecting any public, graphic  message to be driving me to a purchase decision. Silly me, I didn't realize I was looking at the work of disciples of James Whistler and his school, who promulgated the idea of Art for Art's Sake.

Image result for whistler's mother
James McNeill Whistler, Arrangement in Grey
and Black No. 1,
1871, il on canvas.
Whistler's famous portrait of his mother is on tour here in L.A. this summer. You should go see it just because it's here and compare the reality to the concept that  has been given to you by cartoons galore. I know I will. I should have stickers made up of the painting and start putting them on trash bins everywhere. 



Hope you have a great start to your week.

Love,
Pops


PS: Regarding today's sticker art, have you ever been called fat and/or ugly? As the image suggests, it sucks. If you have ever called someone that, or even directed that thought to someone, don't do it anymore. You're better than that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!