Saturday, September 13, 2014

Three Loves Seven, Chapter 17, Part 2 - "Exit Rex, Enter Natsuki"

Dear Gentle Readers,

We continue with the episode where Clete literally falls into the clutches of the Sea Witches, but a recollection from his point of view. In case you hadn't noticed, the Sea Witches, the citizens of The Outside, or The Center, as they call themselves, are of a Japanese-derived culture, as opposed to the citizens of The Island, or as the Sea Witches call them, The Empire, who are of a Chinese-derived culture.

In the United States, uninformed people like to lump all East Asian ethnicities into one big ol' category that they call "Chinese," just like they like to refer to all Spanish-speakers as being "Spanish" or, if they are being a little condescending, they'll refer to them all as "Mexicans." It cuts the other way too though. Chinese will refer to all caucasians as "Americans."

People of Chinese and Japanese descent know that they are really very different from one another, and they have inklings of the animosities that trace back into the histories of these two nations and cultures, but we really don't fully understand the depth of it. You will remember that Clete when he was young, found Mariko to be at first quite alien compared to his ethnic frame of reference. He's gotten smarter in middle age, but it's still a predicament as he stumbles into Dog Island's remnant, second state. He thinks it's preposterous that so few people should be divided into two nations, but nothing surprises him on that island anymore...

This section is quite long, so I break in mid-paragraph and you will get the rest of the second conversation next week.

Thanks for reading.

Love,
Pops

* * *

Personal Journal Entry


U.S. Time:           Monday, August 13, 2012
Island Time:        Dragon, Month 6, Day 26, Xingqi 1
Project Time:     Week 8, Day 2 (entered Day 4)

That day started out without indication as to adverse events. When I have gone back to contemplate all the bad days of my life, I remember that they all start out normal and bland. This is another reason I do not believe in omens and portents, or other harbingers of bad luck.

In the morning I was at the lab gathering all the equipment I would need later that day. I was going to set up equipment in a hazardous spot, and work for a day off of a ledge. I would be securing all the eyelets in a cliff necessary to scale upward and downward as necessary. There were several things to carry so I had recruited my two “sons” as I began to call them, Eve and Eight—they were  so vigorous, strong, and athletic—to assist me in transporting my gear used in scaling cliff faces. Their cottages were not close by and it was early yet, but they tended to run late anyway.

While I was waiting I received a surprise visit from Old Rex. I had no idea he got up earlier than noon.

     “Dr. Wong?”
     “Rex. Up and at ’em early today eh?”
     “Yep. How’s the project coming?”
     “It’s on track. No real delays, that’s real good. Any news on the wire?”
     “Nothing to speak of. But that’s why I’m here. I watch the weather. This season all big storms have been traveling north of us, but the pattern seems to be shifting. I wanted to tell you to keep an eye on it.”
     “Storms have missed us? But we get rain almost every day.”
     “That’s not real rain. You’ll know it when it’s a real storm. You may get some. I’m telling you because I’m shifting off the Island. The ladies never seem to care. You seem like you might care, bein’ a scientist and all. You actually make use of modern technology. They just watch the sky and react. Like they’re stuck in the 19th century. They live by signs and portents.”
     “I know exactly what you mean. Are you giving me access into your office then?”
     “No can do. Government regulation. No one has the key and we leave the office empty for three months.”
     “We’re entering the typhoon season and you evacuate? That doesn’t make sense.”
     “It’s the treaty arrangement with the Royal Family. My government takes no responsibility for them since they choose to remain in potential jeopardy. The protectorate thinks this place is really uninhabitable. They do act to protect their employee, me.”
     “What, so if they run into trouble here, they’re on their own?”
     “Pretty much.”
     “They don’t get much for their taxes, do they?”
     “These Islanders have not paid taxes ever. They have hardly anything to pay with. They don’t put in, they don’t get much. Their treaty restricts us to recovery, not rescue.”
     “I guess that means me too then?”
     “Your contract is with the Royal Family, not with the Protectorate. Anyway I thought you have your own backup rescue provider, eh? There’s room on the boat if you want off.”
     “Thanks but I’m taking my chances. What do you think of the likelihood of a major typhoon this season?”
     “ ’sbeen very quiet. If it’s like other years you’ll get a couple really good two-to-three-day soakers.  Those top off the drinking water reservoirs through the dry season.”
     “Well, I guess they’ve had good luck. I guess we’re not in the regular traffic lane of big storms then.”
     “Lee’s got a shortwave if you get security trouble. But you got your satellite phone and digital contact right? Check the weather regularly. Might save your life. Storms show up without warning. This Island has a history. A surge came once and took away a lot of people. Almost 40 years ago. And 100 years before that. Doesn’t happen often, but when it does it’s mammoth. Has something to do with the sea floor around us in one particular direction. Don’t remember which, but yer the geologist. You probably know.”
     “Wasn’t in the dossier I got. I’ll do a little historical searching on surges. Thanks for the warnings.”
     “No problem Doc. Just doing my job. Nice meetin’ ya. I’ll be getting on a boat this afternoon and you’ll be gone when they redeploy me, so it’s been a pleasure.”
     “Rex, before you go, mind if I ask a few questions?”
     “Shoot.”
     “Can you explain the presence of these nine women and their daughters? Why are they here?”
     “The chain of possession of the Dog Island Territories for their family goes back centuries so they are considered indigenous people with the right of occupancy that cannot be disturbed. As I said, they have a kind of special treaty status with my country. Don’t really know much more than that. I’m not from this Island and they’re all tight-lipped about their customs and history.”
     “I know. I keep asking them and they all shut up.”
     “One old-timer I knew said they were like a good luck charm for the area. Leave ’em alone and nothing bad will happen to you. They’re all related too. The remnants of a monarchy. The older ones. Some of their mothers are sisters or something like that. So I guess they’re all cousins.”
     “I deduced that much already. What about the girls’ fathers? Why aren’t they in the picture? Do you know any of them?”
     “Not all, I know a lot of ’em. Some are fisherman, some are sailors, some are farmers. When the big typhoon hit that I talked about, all the families moved off. Totaled the place, like it was nuked. They’re spread all over the South Pacific, Malaysia, Australia, Micronesia, and Indonesia.”
     “Do they keep any contact at all with their daughters?”
     “When I run into them they never say a word. And they don’t inquire. Tight-lipped as the women. You’ll never learn a thing. Trust me on that.”
     “This is not right. It’s all fucked up.”
     “Doc, my advice is just get your data and get out. They’re just plain weird. Like some cult. If you do get in with them you probably will get sucked into something you wish you never bargained for. I used to feel sorry for the little girls. Saw them grow up. But they’re all young ladies now, good looking, but their all just as bat-shit crazy as their moms. I understand you have people like them in your country too. Oddball communities who like to live in the past?”
     “I guess you’re thinking of the Amish people. I don’t think they’re quite like that. They would use modern appliances if they could afford them. They’re poor as church mice, but they just don’t know it.”
     “That so? I notice Doc, that you seem to be able to get them to talk to you. You’re gifted or cursed, hard to tell which. The ones I especially steer clear of are the Sea Witches.”
     “Why is that?”
     “It’s said they have powers to cause shipwrecks, and summon the dead. You don’t want them on your bad side.”
     “Shipwrecks are not pleasant, but why is summoning the dead a bad thing?”
     “If a dead man is ordered to attack you, how do you defend yourself? You can offer no threat.”
     “Never thought of it that way, but that’s so much superstition. I’m surprised you swallow that stuff Rex.”
     “All I can tell you is weird shit happens to boats and planes in these waters. Some things have happened to me. Engine cuts mysteriously. You float in mist for hours or days. Seals come and cut your fishing lines or bite holes in your nets so you pull up nothing. It’s why no major power ever stays around in a serious way very long. There’s a partner island they’ve rented for bombing practice? They run a raid. Next day a plane goes into the water. Happens every time. Something that was kept out of the newspapers—a goddamned Italian oil tanker disappeared here. It just vanished. Four countries have tried to take this place over in my lifetime and given up. I call it Payback Island. This place sucks up time, money, resources, and men. Sure the fishing is good, but if you are always losing a crew member or a boat, the cost is too high. Isn’t the real reason you’re here to figure out if there’s anything valuable here to exploit? Nobody’s ever succeeded in doing that. Be careful. Gotta go Doc. I need to pack.”
     “Safe journey to you Rex.”

I learned hardly anything new, but I was at least relieved to know that it wasn’t just me not being able to gather any data about the Dog Islanders.

***

There was this exposed cliff face that caught my attention that had some exposed ore deposits that I wanted to sample. The only way to get to them was to access a ledge, secure some eyelets into the face, and then pulley myself down to the areas in question.  I had done this kind of operation quite often at even greater heights so this situation was not a particular challenge.

Eight and Eve finally arrived and we moved my equipment to the ledge. There were several wide “platforms” or other ledges above the target ledge. We worked out a tandem system where we would move about a dozen bundles by just throwing them and catching them. The risk of loss was minimal. It was like playing a game of easy catch. I gave the girls a break at 10 a.m., when they had to leave to go perform a duty for Da Mei. It was after they had left that misjudged my footing and then slid down the cliff face and tumbled into the brush below.

The girls returned later but did not find me. They assumed I had moved on to work at another location and they continued to set the eyelets in the cliff themselves. They weight-tested them tying both of themselves together to approximate my weight. It was only when they returned home later that afternoon that they learned I had fallen off the cliff. They were reprimanded by the Security Council and their mothers for deserting me and not investigating my absence, but I later absolved them saying I had not given them proper contingency instructions.

Luckily the younger Sea Witch had been working nearby and had heard me yell as I came down and retrieved me. I lost consciousness and later revived in the Sea Witch compound in the area known as The Outside. I sustained several bruises and scrapes and they held me overnight for observation, but I was given release the next morning.

I was hoping to have a conversation with the Sea Witch, the elder one, but that did not happen. It turns out they are yet another mother-daughter pair on this island (big surprise). They had me on bed rest, I was laying on a futon on a straw-matted floor there in the compound most of the time. In the evening the younger attendant, her name is Natsuki, rolled me into what functioned as their dining room and brought a dinner of soup, rice, grilled fish, and vegetable, and oddly, a dessert I had not had in years—a vanilla pudding. It was a rice pudding, no surprise there, but I had had nothing of the sort since I went lactose intolerant 10 years ago. It made me strangely homesick where nothing else had. I used to live on this stuff. Natsuki left me to eat alone. We had a brief conversation after I first awoke, but I can hardly remember anything of that first conversation. After a while she came back to collect the dishes.

     “Can I give you a hand with those?”
     “You are the patient. You should stay as you are.”
     “I’d like to talk to the Sea Witch.”
     “Let me check. I’ll be back in a bit.” She disappeared for about an hour but Natsuki did return. “I’m sorry, but my mother is unable to see you at this time. Is there anything I can help you with?”
     “This might take a while. Do you have some time?”
     “I suppose I could stay a bit.”
     “How well do you know your neighbors?”
     “It is a small island. I would say I know them quite well.”
     “I am trying to understand why they are here. Or you, for that matter.”
     “Well, that’s pretty easy. Why are you in Los Angeles? That is where you live, right?”
     “That’s where my family is from and where I’ve lived almost all my life.”
     “Same answer here.”
     “Fair enough. But in Los Angeles there are all kinds of families, singles, and whatever. Here there are nine women, all about the same age, and their only children, daughters all, who are all about high school or college age, and they’re all first or second cousins. This is odd by any standard of reference.”
     “There were more people at one time, but they all moved away and two families stayed. Theirs and mine.”
     “Why did everybody else move?”
     “There was a storm that destroyed almost all the residences on the Island and it was too expensive to rebuild. That typhoon, and others, took away a lot of livable land. What remained could no longer sustain everyone. A small group decided to stay, because there is a treaty arrangement with our protectorate partners that they will assume sovereignty if all natives abandon the Island. The nine cousins and my mother decided they would remain and sustain Dog Island culture.”
     “OK, that makes a certain kind of sense.
     “Let me ask you a question, Dr. Wong.”
     “Go ahead, but please call me Clete.”
     “That is much too informal for us. How about Wong-hakase?”
     “I think you’re going way in the wrong direction of formality for my sake. I’m just a regular guy.”
     “You hold four academic degrees, two doctorates. We here in The Center hold learning in high regard. But related to that, you’ve been here awhile. I’d like to know what recommendations will you make concerning all of us based on your research?”
     “I am just a surveyor. I am only here to record what I observe. The human settlement, you, your mother, and the ‘Cousins,’ as I call them, and the “Daughters,” are not part of my report except as you relate to the physical geography.”
     “That’s not what I understood about your being here.”
     “The NGO that let me be here on their permit, the Earth Dragon Institute? I’m not part of them. They have an agenda that they think this survey will serve. They want to say that global warming is threatening the way of life of island people like yourselves. That you’ll be inundated by the sea and have to give up your simple but ‘noble way’ of subsisting off the land and the waves. Like the Kiribati Islands.”
     “You sound like you don’t believe that.”
     “That NGO and I only agree upon my being here. That’s it. I’m only taking a snapshot of what is, today. There’s no data for years past, is there? I mean, Mu has told me what she remembers and what her parents and grandparents told her, but it’s all anecdotal. As for global warming, I can’t rightly say, but most geologists agree sea level is rising and global climate is getting warmer. But it’ll probably take close to a century for it to get higher than one width of your hand. And then again the sunspot cycle might change and maybe it’ll get colder. I wouldn’t pack your bags just yet, Natsuki-san.”
     “Make that Tamura-sensei for both of us if you would like to properly address your medical professionals. Well that’s mildly comforting.”
     “This is unofficial, but I don’t think you’re sinking.”
     “What makes you say that?”
     “Just my gut right now. But your groundwater has very little saline incursion, not like I’d expect.”
     “So we could continue to live here?”
     “Yeah, but at a pretty high cost, yeah. The cost right now is already very high. Every person already works hard for sustenance. A LOT. Just watching you guys makes me tired. Take into account half of your population is middle aged and their health is going to go soon. I should know. I’m their age. Lum and Lian appear to have back problems. Feng and Mu seem like future candidates for cataract surgery. Lum, Ting Ting, and Qi all have irregular dark spots on their skin. Other than you and the older Sea Witch, have any of them seen a medical doctor recently?”
     “The last time a doctor came was maybe 10 years ago.”
     “As their primary care provider, don’t these things concern you?”
     “You cannot help people who will not be helped.”
     “Fair enough. Time is not on your side for all of you. In the abstract, this many people could live here probably for another 80-100 years, but would you want to?  You’ll eventually have a set of buildings where people live but who have to ship everything in. It’s not going to continue to be a self-sustaining community. It’ll be more like a resort than a village. I don’t know who the powers that be are that determine what you all do, but the time is coming when you will have to change your way of life. It may not be in your mother’s lifetime, but probably in yours. You’ll probably just have to sell the place to some rich guy who wants to have an island.”
     “I sense mild alarm in your voice. You seem almost concerned . . . for us.”
     “Maybe . . . I am.”
     “Why is that? You’re just a temporary worker passing through. Why do you care?”
     “I’ve been asking myself ever since I got here. I don’t know.”
     “Well, if you find out, let me know. Our ex-pats no longer care. They don’t send remittances to support their Princesses. They all changed citizenship. Not that I blame them. The 20 of us here are all on our own. I call us the “village of the faithful.” If we leave, the story of Dog Island will end and nobody will remember it.”
     “Is there a story?”
     “There is, but I don’t know the whole of it.”
     “Who does?”
     “Nobody does anymore. That’s the sad part. We are all faithful to an idea that we cannot fully remember. The Princesses gave one of the girls the responsibility of trying to find out.”
     “Qin Qin?”
     “Right. She has been working on it for a long time. But . . .”
     “But?”
     “Ling tells me that her resolve has been undermined. That she no longer is content to stay here and fulfill her duty. That someone is putting an idea in her head that she has a place in the larger world.”
     “Are you saying I shouldn’t?”
     “Did I say that was you?”
     “No, not exactly. But I can add two and two. I went to college. I’m a teacher. I’m in the business of creating larger worlds for people.”
     “And what business is it of yours to do that here? You’re just supposed to be a visiting geologist.”
     “A light, no matter where it is put, can only shine.”
     “As a shark no matter where it swims must feed upon and destroy whatever is small and weak and ill?”

I had apparently found Natsuki’s sore spot with me. The conversational tone was getting heavy and the momentum was getting away from us so I had to do something to stop the clock. 


© Copyright 2012 by Vincent Way, all rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!