Thursday, September 18, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Thursday, September 18, 2014

Good Thursday to you all! Here's your picture:

























The hot weather has broken here in L.A. I'm sure it'll be a warm day, but it was actually cool this morning walking to the bus stop at 5:45 AM--nice and cool out in Malibu this morning too. This picture differs from all those earlier this week in that there's a cloud bank over the ocean.

I walked over to another part of campus to get a better snapshot of the cloud bank.

Image result for richard scaife
The late Richard Mellon Scaife
I am standing on the Scaife Terrace, named after conservative newspaper publisher Richard Scaife. It was because of our taking donations from Mr. Scaife that we got labeled by the Clintons as being part of the "vast right-wing conspiracy."

Her mom may be our next president....
I'm told that he was a very private man, and very modest actually. He didn't like having things named after him, but we gratefully named a terrace and bridge for him anyway.



Now the president of
Baylor University
In regards to the Clintons' assumption about us, it probably didn't help that  Ken Starr (the Clintons' Torquemada)  became the dean of our law school for several years. So fat chance in hell of Chelsea ever coming to school here. (Hey! We're cheaper than Stanford, where she wound up.)

The former veep


Image result for thomas kinkade
The late, great
"painter of light"
We did get scouted by the families of Dan Quayle and Thomas Kinkeade to send their kids here.

What other blog will give you such a gaggle of headline-has beens? Oh, I take that back. Chelsea changed jobs recently and that was "news."


No Quayles or Kinkeades made it here though, we didn't make the cut. So, do I work within the right-wing conspiracy? You decide.

Kinkeade is a fascinating artist to me, more because of his divisiveness when I bring him up in the context of any discussion of the intersection of aesthetics and economics. I have to admire someone who not only makes Yosemite look like a fantasy fiction book cover, but does so in complete earnestness, living with a lot of personal demons and within a highly cynical time. I promise I'll write about him sometime.


Love 'me or hate 'em, they sure are purty...
RIP, TK.

Have a great Thursday.

Love,
Pops

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!