Saturday, September 6, 2014

Three Loves Seven, Chapter 17, Part 1 - "Stumbling into the Land of the Sea Witches"

Dear family, friends, and gentle readers,

Today you will meet the last two characters of this novel. They complete the symmetry of this Island population being yet another mother-daughter pair absent a father.

The activities of this day/chapter will be in two parts. The next portion will be back from Clete's point of view.

Thank you for reading.

Love,
Pops





U.S. Time:          Monday, August 13, 2012
CenterTime:       Monday, August 13, 2012
Empire Time:     Dragon, Month 6, Day 26, Xingqi 1

[Reporter’s note:  These notes were volunteered by the Second Sea Witch regarding the events of 13 August 2012. She was asked to recount her conversations relating to that incident which have been recorded here as well.]

Personal notes on conversations regarding patient Dr. Clete Wong [recorded in Japanese]

Since Mother had not responded to my sounding of the alarm bell, I could only assume she was deep in The Grove and there was nothing to do but observe and wait. When I heard the door slide open and close and the sound of her shoes hitting the floor as she kicked them off, I hurried over to her.

     “Mother, you’re back! The distinguished visiting geologist is injured. I have put him in the observation room.”
     “What happened? How was he injured?”
     “He was working on the rocky ledge, in The Margin. He was setting up equipment apparently. I would say he lost his footing and came down the mountainside.”
     “So he made impact on the floor below? Broken bones? Internal bleeding?”
     “No. No signs of shock or anemia. I think he slid initially and had presence of mind to roll himself. But he came to stop against a banyan. He hit his head.”
     “Is he conscious?”
     “No. He has been out for a while now. I am concerned that he has been out for length of time. Do you think we should notify Rex and have him evacuated?”
     “I will look.”

Mother stood at the closed infirmary door for at least two minutes.

     “Is something wrong?”
     “No. I just have to ready myself.”
     “Ready yourself?”

Mother had no response to that. Finally she slid the door open and went in. She knelt by his side and just sat there for a while. She finally started to touch him. He was breathing easily. She opened one of his eyes and then the other.

     “It’s not bad. The pupils react. Good sign. Pulse is strong. Breathing is strong. You cleaned and bandaged his wounds I see. Color is good. Temperatures and blood pressure readings?”

I handed her my chart.

    “Everything else normal except responsiveness then. Wong, is this the only way you ever give yourself rest?”
     ‘What did you say mother?”
     “Did you advise The Empire where he is?”
     “No. I did not want to leave him alone.”
     “You recovered him at what time?”
     “Around 11:30 a.m.”
     “How long was he lying there?”
     “I heard him shout when he fell. I was there immediately.”
     “It’s been a few hours then. If he does not regain consciousness in an hour we will ask Rex to call for a Medevac. But I predict he is just going to hurt for a couple of days. Let’s move him into the small sea-view room. I will sit with him until he revives. It won’t be long.”

We put him on a rolling cot and moved him down the hall. We opened the screen wall to let the brightness of the day and the late-day breeze in. We put him on a padded mat. She surprised me by taking a place kneeling behind him so that his head rested in her lap. Mother bent over so that her head was next to his, and then she began to sing softly.  She performed some sort of therapeutic massage on his temples and then on his shoulders and neck and then his hands and wrists. Sure enough, he started to stir. She rose and motioned me over.

     “He is waking.”
     “What did you do?”
     “Treat him well. He is an extremely powerful man.”
     “Shouldn’t you stay and tend to him then?”
     “Please handle it. I will only observe.”

Mother did not explain this any further. She told me there were some inhabitants in the Island’s deep past who considered considered us taboo. But he was a foreigner. Perhaps she was afraid of making an error in the care of someone she perceived to be an important guest. But I had not heard he was anything special. According to Ling, he was a part-time teacher and scientist from a prominent college in the western U.S., and a part-time worker in the oil industry. He was not a diplomat, or an officer in a navy, or even a rich man, who would have had servants. Ling did say that while they found him frequently discourteous, his actions were never bad-natured and he was refreshingly open, almost like a curious child in an old man’s body. She said he made her laugh quite often the way he would frustrate her mother. But he was obviously quite learned though he seemed almost deceptively to be clueless and stupid.
Ling said that her mother seemed rather fixated on him and gossiped about him constantly. It seemed that the Second Princesses were having great fun watching as each of their mothers broke the taboo of talking to him and seeing how they reacted to a man their age. Ling said the younger ones especially like to speculate on the meaning of every action to determine which one the Firsts he likes best. So now it was our turn in The Center to talk to the geologist.

      “Where am I?”
     “You are on Dog Island.”
     “Well, duh, I know that.”
     “Who is the president of the United States?”
     “Barack Obama.”
     “OK. Good. Who is the president of China?”
     “What?”
     “I think you mean Who?”
     “Who?”
     “. . . Jin . . .”
     [exasperated gasp] “Hu Jin Tao!”
     “Excellent! Thank you. I’ve always wanted to do that. Now, who is the incumbent prime minister of Japan?”
     “How the hell am I supposed to know that? I know what you’re doing and I’m telling you I’m fine.”
     “Well here’s a hint, the family name has four syllables.”
     “Three-fourths of the family names in Japan have four syllables.”
     “Work with me on this. If you can’t answer correctly I’m committing you to the insane asylum.”
     “Yoshimura something or other.”
     “Ah you do know, you’re just faking being baka.  I’m onto you.”
     “Yoshihiko Noda. Satisfied?”
     “Very. Mother said your passport is heavily validated to Asian countries. I expect a lot out of you.  Now make a fist with your right hand. Now with your left. Wiggle your left foot. Now your right.”
     “Are you a doctor?”
     “Closest thing you’ll get here. My mother and I are I guess what you might call medics. We’re also witch doctors. But it’s not like there’s a licensing board for those.”
     “So you’re the Sea Witch?”
     “Technically the Sea Witch heir apparent. When my mother retires or just doesn’t want to do it anymore, I’ll take over.”
     “But you’re wearing surgical scrubs. Since when you witch doctors wear scrubs?”
     “Mother’s idea. Thought it might give you hope and courage and the will to fight for life and all that.”
     “Now that you’ve blown your cover, do you really think it’ll work?”
     “I’m not so much into manipulating appearances. I prefer representing myself with competent action. But we have had some formal training in first responder and charting procedures so that if we do turn someone over to a doctor, they have an initial benchmark of observation.”
     “Do you like it? Being a Sea Witch that is?”
      “It’s a living. Keeps rice on the table.”
     “Is there much call for conjuring ghosts and making brews here?”
     “You be the judge when you taste our hospital food.”
     “Your bedside manner is appalling.”
     “I have no apologies. It’s not like you can go down the street to the next clinic. Should I call you a helicopter?”
     “So I’m a helicopter. I need to talk to your manager, young lady. I’ll have your job.”
     “The pay is terrible, but the view is great. I’ll get you the forms and you can apply.”
     “So can I go now?”
     “Actually, no. It’s getting dark soon and we think we should observe you overnight. We’re kind of worried about concussion. Do you have a headache?”
     “No. I mean, my head aches, but it’s not that kind.”
     “Blurred vision?”
     “No.”
     “I really should test you on that, but I believe you. We’ll see how good you see when I have you stand and take a few steps. Up you go.”

He was able to rise on his own, walk, stand on one leg. He got back down.

     “In case the Princesses didn’t tell you we’re the medical officers for the Island and so we’re responsible for your care per your research contract unless you want to call for a Medevac. In which case we’ll happily sign you out, but your project will then effectively end as I understand it.”
     “That’s OK. I don’t want to abandon you all yet. I’ll be compliant.”
     “Would you like me to advise Ba and Yi to retrieve your equipment? They were assisting you right?”
      “Ba and Yi?”
     “Aha. Memory lapse. Don’t hide it. It’s important to know.”
     “Oh! Eight and Eve. Guess I shouldn’t use their classroom names out of the classroom.”
     “That’s right. You gave all the girls American names didn’t you? They love that, by the way. It’s like you reinvented their personalities. Eight and Eve. Hmm.”
     “What’s your name, by the way? I’m Clete. Clete Wong.”
     “I know your name. I saw your papers and wrote up your chart. I’m Natsuki.”
     “Japanese.”
     “Bingo.”
     “So you’re from the historical prefecture then?”
     “Now you’re just showing off to spite me.”
     “A business associate took me to the historic shrine in Fukuyama. So sue me.”
     “And with that comment you have officially disqualified yourself for the Good Patient Award. I’m actually half Japanese if what mother says is true. Well, ethnically Japanese. There hasn’t been a Japanese national on Dog Island for decades.”
     “Which half is Japanese? Just so I know when to switch languages.”
     “The POLITE half, of course. Silly.”
     “Well then, I’ve obviously been talking to your New Yorker half.”
     “You’ve been a great audience, you really have. Now I think you should rest and take a nap, on purpose this time.”
     “Ya breakin’ me up.”
     “You already did a good job of that yourself. You know, sir, you’re pretty punchy for a guy who’s come out of a coma after five years.”
     “Please tell me you’re joking.”
     “Relax, after your nap, you’ll be transported right back to 2012. I guarantee it. But as you can see, by our just being here, the global warming thing was a hoax.”
     “What do you know about that?”
     “All Islanders were given the chance to read your project proposal. I did.”
     “Someone was singing earlier.”
     “That would be mother.”
     “I need to see her. Like NOW.”
     “I am the professional. I will give the orders here. You need to rest. You’ll meet her soon enough. Rest. On purpose this time, like now.”

Patient drifted back to sleep. We Sea Witches consulted.

     “And just what was that all about? What kind of a first conversation is that to have?”
     “We already have his medical questionnaire and comprehensive history that he submitted with his research application. But, he snapped right into his sarcasm when he hit consciousness. That’s probably a good sign.”
     “Some things never change.”
     “Do you know him?”
     “Did you have to continue the rude banter? I hate that.”
     “I was just responding in like tone to his comments. You have to admit it kept him engaged with good  eye contact, so we know focus and reasoning functions are good. Since he’s going to be an overnighter I will set up a futon in the cottage.”
     “It is all right if you leave him in the main compound in the sea-facing room. It’s extremely hot tonight. He is still not acclimated. His body sweats profusely. He will prefer having a bed on the porch. Keep giving him water.” 
     “Mother, you didn’t answer my earlier question. Do you know him?”
     “Not really.”
     “What does that mean?”
     “It means what I said; I really don’t know him.”
     “Do you mind if at some time I ask him about the United States?”
     “Ask what?”
     “What it’s like. I’m curious. We never get visitors. Never from America.”
     “Stay on the topics of his health and his work here. Are you preparing his meal?”
     “I will.”
     “As part of it, make a rice porridge, but double the amount of rice. Grind it if you have time. When it is not yet hot, slowly add a beaten chicken egg and coconut milk, maybe two of the large spoons worth. Then stir in three and a half spoons of sugar. If we have cassia bark or better yet cinnamon bark, grind a quarter spoon and put it in as well, but at the end. Do we have any vanilla?”
     “No.”
     “Maybe Princess Lum has some. I will go over and see.”
     “I’ll go.”
     “This is served cold, so once it has become thick, we need to put it in a watertight container and place it in the shaded stream until you can stand up a spoon in it.”
     “Is this some kind of medicinal porridge? It’s complicated. You need to tell me again.”
     “Uwah. I’ll just make it myself. You go and inform The Empire where he is and get the vanilla while you are there.”


© Copyright 2012 by Vincent Way, all rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!