Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Malibu Canyon morning picture of the day - Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 1st day of Autumn

Good morning family, friends, and gentle readers. A happy first day of fall to you all.

























For me there are two roads in to work, either along the coast, or through Malibu Canyon. As you come down the canyon road in the morning you are essentially in shadow since the road winds along the bottom of the canyon floor.

However, when it does cross Mulholland Drive, it intersects a wide opening into a secondary canyon so that you get this vista of morning light for just a few seconds as you pass through the intersection at 50-55 MPH.

At this time of year, the angle of the sun bathes everything in gold. The grass if brown from the drought and leaves are starting to turn brown and yellow, so I've noticed this spot becoming more and more golden. I decided to stop and see if my camera phone could capture that sense. Of course it's not quite as good, but it comes pretty close.

And of course, I must put in the coast shot just for comparison to all of the other days. It's overcast today.

Flags are still up. I think this is the last day.


























And one more, just looking to the east.

These are quite a nice set, I think. Its scenes and light like this that inspires the plein air painters that we so associate with California landscape painting.

I hope you had as nice a view in on your way to work. Here's to a great autumn. Try to balance an egg on its end sometime around noon. You can probably do it today (use a raw egg).


Love,
Pops




No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!