Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Good Tuesday to you all! Here's the morning picture of the day...




























If you are wondering what that grid-like pattern is on the lawn in the center of the picture, my school has adopted a custom for 9/11 of planting a flag on the lawn for every person who died on that day. The installation stays up for about a week.

If you ever think you want to commemorate that day yourself in a contemplative way, this is an appropriate place to come and do it. Many groups do so. It is a destination in itself. The flags stand six feet plus, so when you walk among them it is like being in a very bright forest.

The figure standing to the right is a coworker of mine who is in the Volunteer Office--we are frequently on the same bus coming from and going to work.




Last night, Mid-Autumn full moon behind clouds
Last night 9/8/2014 was the night of the Mid-Autumn Festival, being the full moon of the 8th month in the Chinese luni-solar calendar. The Moon Lady was being coy with me and hiding behind clouds when I left the office last night. She came out in full glory later as I drove home. I hope you took the time to do some moongazing.

Mooncakes
-from cits.net
You're supposed to eat mooncakes on that night. Frankly I don't care for them very much, although they look quite enticing. Someday I am going to have to try my hand at modifying the recipe and come up with a Chinese-American version of it does homage to the taste and texture, but is a little more suited to the American palate for diaspora Chinese like myself. The recipes vary by region and cook, so I would be staying in the tradition.

Last night, facing other direction...
The story of Chang-E, the moon maiden is somewhat interesting, but not THAT interesting to me. Count on me to put my revisionist hand to it in the future (like I did with Weaver Girl). So much to write and redact, so little time...

Time to work my pretties, so I'll see you here tomorrow.

Love,
Pops









1 comment:

  1. I think your idea of modifying the moon cake is superb. I would love to have the recipe if you ever come up with a good one. What about "cross pollinating" with that classic American dessert, pecan pie? It would lend greater sweetness and stronger flavor, more interesting texture, and a "new world"-specific ingredient ...

    ReplyDelete

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!