Friday, December 25, 2015

"Asian Madonna and Child" - Christmas Day, December 25, 2015

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

A Merry Christmas to all of you.

Artist Doctor Dragon, Mother and Child and Tigress and Cubs, paint on Chinese Restaurant.





































This has got to be one of the weirdest murals (I know, I know, I keep saying that ...) that I've come across, but it's so well executed.

It's an Asian mother, cross sectioned in her late pregnancy, and also in a nursing scene with her recently born baby, but with the baby's mouth likewise
wise cross sectioned and Mom's breast and muscles rendered in standard biomedical illustration fashion, milk ducts and all.

For those who find the exposure of nursing mothers objectionable, I have no idea how they'd feel about this woman. I'm wondering if the artist is maybe a med student? He has a website

Echoing the nursing mother and child theme, the artist has rendered the theme in tigers, which always makes for a really flashy painting. Lotus flowers abound amid all of this fecundity.


Back many years ago, when I used to paint, I got really into Renaissance portraits, and I wanted to paint a Chinese Mary and Christ child. I started, but never finished the project since other things always intervened.

This is not quite what I wanted to do, but I certainly like this piece a lot.  This is not in East Hollywood/Little Armenia. This is almost in West Hollywood, on the back side of the Kung Pao Bistro restaurant at Santa Monica and Fairfax. It's the only Chinese restaurant in Hollywood that I think is worth going to. The yardstick of comparison I use is how well do they prep a plate of shrimp chow fun (if they even do one at all, most restaurants don't bother).

It's too long to bet in on panoramic shot so here are two:



And here's the context shot:


To me, rather than Chinese (this being a Chinese restaurant), this girl is more likely Thai or Burmese or Lao. She looks like she's got some Indian heritage in her. But whoever she is, she's lovely.

Happy Christmas. See you in the New Year.

Love,
Pops

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!