Thursday, November 12, 2015

iT'S STreeT arT THurSDay iN eaST HoLLyWooD and Malibu pic of the day - Thursday, November 12, 2015

Dear Street Art Lovers,

We're up a little late, but better late than never. You will remember that last week we had this highly elaborate, keeps-going-and-going Asia-pop, highly decorative, flashy-color imagery at a gas station/car wash. I've got something this week that should be a stark contrast.

Artist "El Cacom(?)," Masquerade Trio, paint on cement.























Left figure
We have a mural with five figures, three of them primary-focus individuals with masks, with two smaller persons of lesser size in the background. These look to me like illustrations that you might find on the cover of The New Yorker magazine--you know, one of the oddball cerebral sort of thingies. Childlike, but not childish. Cute in a way, but also biting, fierce, and creepy.

Center figure
These were taking at gas station, similarly enough to last week, at Vermont and 3rd, sort of in East Hollywood, but sort of in that liminal zone where it starts to morph into "Little Bangladesh." In fact, there's a Pakistani biriyani joint right next to this has makes a great lamb rice dish that will excite your tongue and make it tired for the rest of the night.

Right figure
I found an Indian restaurant to hit before I go to band rehearsal on Tuesday nights. As I have worked my way down everything on their menu, I've decided lamb biriyani is the standard dish by which I will judge eateries that specialize in the cuisine of the subcontinent. According to my brother who had his DNA genealogy tested, we've got a LOT of Indian DNA in our family, but there is nothing in the recent family history to indicate that heritage. As far as we know, the last several known generations were all Chinese or Japanese. Interesting though, but I digress.

These were shot at about 10:30-11 PM at night, so they do have a street-lit eerieness about them. We're still not quite out of the shadow of Halloween, so the person-in-mask motif is still fresh and resonant with us viewers in early November.

And here is the context shot.

These are the guys that nightmares are made of, don't you think? Don't be surprised if they pay you a visit tonight.

In case you were wondering if I missed a posting yesterday? I did. I had to announce a luncheon event in Beverly Hills.  Is there street art in Beverly Hills? Never seen any myself. If you spot any, give me a tip and I'll check it out.




AND NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED SEASCAPE































A slightly different view today. I had to park at the bottom of the hill and get shuttled up. Yes, the ocean appeared to be blue-on-blue zebra stripes today. Very different.

And here's the view from the lower part of campus overlooking some of the tennis courts, with Point Dume in the background.

That's all I got time for today. We'll see you tomorrow.

Love,
Pops

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!