Thursday, August 27, 2015

iT'S STreeT arT THurSDay! and Malibu morning picture - Thursday, August 27, 2015

Dear Street Art Lovers and all the rest of you (whom I love and adore, mind you),

Today, we have some text art (as much of wall art is ... esp. grafitti art) but it's mostly wit ...

Artist, Panhandle Slim, Take Fountain!, paint on clapboard.























... and even, then it's Bette Davis' wit, but there is some meta-wit since this waggish piece of street art adorns the entrance to a bar on the corner of Fountain and Normandie Avenues. I hope you are appreciating the allusion to a movie theatre marquee surrounded by blue lightbulbs.

Artist unattributed, Downtown Audrey Hepburn, paint on stucco.
If that's not enough Hollywood-celebrity-inspired street art for you for today, let me throw this snapshot I grabbed while waddling around the Garment District this last Saturday.

This is also text art because there is a sentence in black block letters behind the SUV pulled up on the sidewalk there. There's a dearth of parking in downtown, so vehicles on sidewalks is not unusual. I'll have to make it back there and take a better picture and get the slogan.

Image of Maggie Q
Hapa #1, Maggie Q
Image result for olivia munn
Hapa #2, Olivia Munn
You can even see a little bit of yet another mural peeking over the top of the building, a woman in traditional Japanese dress and makeup. Frankly I think this pairing of images is pretty fortuitous to me on a symbolic level. I have had more than one female Asian American friend confide that when young, they sort of adopted Audrey Hepburn as a media identity model (small build, petite frame, black hair, dark eyes--you get the idea). There's a kind of poetry for the obscured Japanese woman in the back to be looking through a fence toward Audrey.



Image of Kristin Kreuk
Hapa #3, Kristin Kreuk
Bingbing Fan Picture
Bingbing Fan
Of course, these friends of mine eventually had to come to terms with fact that they were NOT Audrey. There are still very few actresses who fulfill this role, but casting directors seem to be getting better. So many of the ones you do see are part-caucasian too (Maggie Q, Olivia Munn, Kristin Kreuk, etc.).

Bingbing of recent X-Men fame has got some traction. My favorite, hoping she'll get more American work is Korean actress Doona Bae,  but I guess I like her mostly because I think of her as a comedienne. I only recently discovered her in Cloud Atlas, which led me to watching various insane Korean comedies.

Doona Bae

I'm not that much of a movie/TV watcher, so do not consider my inclusions here exhaustive. But I am sure all of these women would tell you they could sure use more work. Such is the arts.

Anyway, this is my flimsy excuse for stealing photos from other websites and posting pictures of pretty young women.







AND NOW BACK TO OUR PREVIOUSLY SCHEDULED SEASCAPE:






























Got it? Here's another view.
























Blue skies. Yes.

That's it for today. Gotta pay the rent kiddos.

Love,
Pops












No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!