Monday, May 19, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday morning. And so it begins,



















Ah, today is a "May Gray" morning. The clouds were moving fast. Just a few seconds earlier, that same position looked like this.




And a little more to the right, more gray with flashes of sunlight.









Grads with diploma covers in hand.
Faculty in front rows.

I told you last week I was on campus Saturday, May 17, to read names at two graduations. Here's what it looks like from my vantage point on the platform (this was just after I had completed the morning group); the grads have their black diploma covers in their laps.
On the platform are the president, provost, dean, guest speakers, and anyone who has a presenting duty. Thankfully, we are in the shade. I just ascend the platform for my part--otherwise I have a chair down stage left at ground level.

I'm told I do a pretty good job at getting everyone's name right at these things. I always award a prize (in my head) to the one whose pronunciation is least like their spelling. This day's winner was Veronica I. Ufoegbune, who pronounces her surname "OOF way BOON nay"; runner-up was Ganna Priadko who goes by "AHN-yuh BAY-esh koff" (that's a nickname with her recent married surname).

My secret to getting to near 100% accuracy is to hit everybody when they line up beforehand (about 30 minutes) prior to marching in. I've got that much time to go down the line and hear everybody's name once, and hopefully make meaningful marks on the name card that they hand me.

Here's the lineup.


Afterwards, they all take pictures with the Pacific as their backdrop, and it's cookies and punch for all.


Did your college graduation look like this? Mine at CSULB certainly did NOT. Pretty yes, but the drawback? It can get hot in the sun.




East Hollywood, 5/18/2014, 6:30 PM
Just a parting shot. I went to get pizza for my daughters for last night's dinner. At the pick-up/carry-out joint near my house the parking lot is an L.A. streetlight museum of sorts.

Right in the middle of the parking lot are examples of street lights from neighborhood around town. (The Bureau of Street Maintenance has its work yard just a block away. They light some of them up as you can see.

Today is the birthday of someone who used to be very special to me (we're friendly, but we have gone on to very separate paths). If you happen to see this, Happy Birthday Wishes, as you may be thinking this one is a milestone--in my experience, it's not, it's merely a number.

Have a great week all of you.

Love,
Pops










No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!