Thursday, May 8, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Thursday, April 8, 2014

Good morning,

Clouds with some breakthrough. A sunbeam day.


















Looks like a couple people are fishing today. See the specks on the water.














And I like this one because it gave me six layers.














Having gone to go hear a writer speak the other night made me wonder how I'd answer who are my favorite writers. It changes from year to year, but right now I think Donald Westlake for satiric voice (he educates you as well) and Jonathan Kellerman for the ability to develop character almost entirely through dialogue.Tom Robbins for playful use of language and oddball observation of the human condition. Playwrights Ferenc Molnar, Tom Stoppard, and of course, Shakespeare--all of them for fanciful plot development.

My favorite play is one that my freshman "bonehead" English prof at USC had us read (and then had us go to a production), Edmund Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac. My fondness for that play made me investigate his others--the rest are all not really as readable or timeless as Cyrano, but I wound up discovering The Fantasticks (my 2nd favorite) which was based on his Les Romanesques.

Thank you Professor Michelle Seton wherever you may be today. She was the first one to believe that I could write and convinced me of it. I was a borderline B+/A in the class and she said she'd give me the A if I promised to take a creative writing course. I kept that promise, Dr. Seton, and took short story writing with John Hermann in my junior year CSULB, but I've been writing stories ever since.

Come up with something good today, all of you.

Love,
Pops

1 comment:

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!