Friday, May 16, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Friday, May 16, 2014

TGIF people,

Here's your Friday picture. Looks like all I pulled out of my "picture poker" hand for the week is three of a kind. We have some clouds today. I could cheat and crop, but there are definitely low clouds way off in the horizon. 




This view above is to the south looking over the land mass toward Orange and San Diego Counties. Fires are in San Diego so there's a lot of smoke in the air. We see it in the reddish tinge at ground level. When I got off the bus in Santa Monica this morning I could smell ambient smoke too.



Here's a look a little more to my left.








The limitations of the camera phone are very apparent when I tried to snap a photo of the Griffith Observatory which I see as I walk up my street to the bus. It cannot capture any kind of detail of a structure at that distance. 
I think the auto focus is trying to bring one of the cars into focus. Doesn't help that I don't have the steadiest hand either and that the light is low. But I don't say that I am a photographer.

Since it's in the frame, a word about how people landscape in my rough urban neighborhood. That mass of blackish shrubbery you see in the lower left is typical of one technique here. A homeowner wanting some privacy will plant fast-growing bushes or trees on the perimeter of the property and just let them go  until they reach the height of the house or higher. They probably trim on the inside, but rarely on the outside so there are some "shaggy" houses about.

Landscaping is hodge-podge here. If you like uniformity, you need to go someplace like Irvine where my sister lives. I'm also right next to a community college so there are strangers (students who park on our streets) walking by all the time, so our reactionary psychology is to enclose and hide. Plus, a lot of residents do not come from lawn-loving cultures, so the cultural impulse to mimic a large English estate lawn is weak here. On the other hand, we don't waste a lot of water making large amounts of yard look green. Yay us.

Have a great weekend. I'll be reading names a two graduations tomorrow so I'll be tired.

Love,
Pops





No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!