Thursday, March 17, 2016

iT'S STreeT arT THurSDay! with Malibu morning picture of the day - St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 2016

Dear Street Art Lovers and Gentle Hearts,

Well, I was reminded (abruptly) that it was St. Patrick's Day today (when you don't have school-age children whose activities are calibrated to all of the observed "days" of the American calendar), you lose track of these things.

So I decided to bump my scheduled offering for today and see if I could find any art that was Irish-related. Turns out no. I guess the Irish tend not to express themselves or the American cliches of their culture [pots of gold, friendly leprechauns, shamrocks] in street art.


Artist unattributed, Pigs Rampant in Society, paint on liquor store. (detail, lower left)


























Lacking anything vaguely "St.-Patrick's-Daysian," I decided to just go with green. Turns out green is also NOT a popular color with street artists. You'll find it sure, but not with the regularity yellows, reds, oranges, and blues. The recent birds mural is loaded with parrot green, but I didn't want to repeat.

BUT I did find this all-green mural in my stash. This busy beauty stands on a liquor store on Melrose near Vine. It depicts a group of pig-thugs who run around committing violence and mayhem oblivious to the societal masses who are only a backdrop to them. The people of society are individual yet the same, all possessing anxiety of the antics of the pig-thugs who circulate among them. A very cunning visual fable that this artist has created. There is also great subtlety in his treatment of "airbrushed" shadow to give the image depth.
Those of you who follow the Thursday blog will find this artist familiar. This is a paintover of one large face which the artist had done earlier on this wall. The artist is unclear. I suggest the ID might be Yumad or LUBK.

Here's another detail from the lower right.


This artist is quite active in the Hollywood area. I've seen versions of these characters on other walls. I'll show you at least one more in future weeks.





And here's almost the whole wall:


































This paintover occured not even three weeks after I had photographed the earlier mural, so at least we have my picture to remember the big pink face.


AND NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED SEASCAPE

Clear blue skies continue in the Southland. A blue-on-blue morning yet again.



OK kids, that'll do it for today. See you tomorrow (or skip ... it'll probably look like this again).

Love,
Pops

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!