Thursday, August 22, 2013

Part 5: Cinderella and the Great Prince of Southern China (At the Evergreen Inn cont'd.)


    It's lunchtime people! You ever have someone tell you the best way to get to the truth of things is by lying? They may be on to something...



The Evergreen Inn – Part 2

             Seven and Three were ushered downstairs into the Evergreen Inn’s wine cellar, where a table had been set for them. The light of many candlesticks revealed an array of almost endless racks of jars and barrels, all carefully labeled. It gave it the place an industrial utilitarian air, but the tasting area where they were seated was quite sumptuously appointed. Winemaster Li had shed his Gold Talent persona and now waited on the couple personally, assisted by an attractively dressed maid with a highly affected rolling walk. Three recognized the young woman and thought to address her.
            “Excuse me, Miss?” he said.
            “She is not allowed to speak,” said Li. “Tell her anything you need done and she will see to it. Is there something you needed?”
            “Ah, no,” said Three, “just  information, but if she is not allowed to speak, then I guess that’s that.”
            “Stand by your station,” said Li. The maid took her place on a nearby chair and lowered her head.
            “Information?” asked Li. “Perhaps I might assist?”
            “Her face is familiar. I feel like I’ve seen her several places about town. She’s the same girl as was upstairs, right?”
            “Different girl,” said Li dismissively, “it’s a common face. I call it the Capital Face. It’s achieved with makeup applied in particular ways. If I call in three of my girls right now you won’t be able to tell them apart.”
            “So, do you think it an attractive or comely face, Three?” asked Seven.
            “Isn’t it rather rude to talk about her when she is sitting right there?” asked Three.
            “Pfft!” was the sound Seven maid blowing air out of her mouth. [switches languages] “Do you speak Manchurian?”
            “I do, but she looks Manchurian to me as well,” said Three.
            “Say whatever you want!” said Li. “She is a MAID in an establishment where my clients get drunk and say rude things ALL DAY AND NIGHT! She is only the help. However, … she is allowed to break your wrists or to summon the bouncer if you manhandle her in any way. I will return straightaway with your food,” said Li before disappearing up the stairway.
            “It still seems odd to me to say it here, but in any case, though her face may be common here, I would say she is still objectively and uncommonly pretty,” said Three. “All due respect, though, I did NOT come here to look at HER.”
            “I am just remembering what you said about men and how they regard the girls they meet in their travels versus those whom they know at home. So you should not be surprised that I’m now curious about your taste in women.”
            “Let me remind you, I did come here to ask for your hand.”
            “A wife is one thing. What you prefer is another.”
            “But what do you care what I think of the likes of her?”
            “Well, if you are to be my lord and husband, I need to know what kind of girl NOT to hire for the household staff—if only to keep you from being tempted.”
            “This is exactly why I prefer the company of older women. They understand the risks of life so much better. Can we talk about something else?”
            “It is now impossible to trust anything you say about me. I can’t know if what you say is what you really think or what you think I want to hear.”
            “Am I talking to the same level-headed girl of a few days ago? Have you always been so insecure about your own looks?”
            “I AM NOT INSECURE.” At least up until now, thought Seven. She had never given her own appearance that much thought. But somehow, she did not like Three thinking that her companion was pretty.
             “Fine. So what would you ask me then?”
             “Apart from me, of course then,” said Seven, “describe the fairest woman you’ve seen in capital thus far.”
             Three gave this long consideration; Qi was forcing him into dangerous territory and was not going to let it go until she heard something that she thought was the truth. “I was at a dinner party and found myself seated beside this fellow guest’s teenaged daughter. She continually soiled herself, reeked like a cesspit, was non-conversant, and had no idea how to behave in polite company—she was someone whom everyone thought was an idiot whom I assessed had been either overly indulged or a child whom her parents had given up on long ago. Although just a few years shy of being betroth-able, I decided she was the most attractive female in the capital.”
            There was a loud snort. The couple’s eyes turned to the maid sitting stone still in her chair.
             “I’m pretty damn sure she understands me,” said Three, “she’s suppressing herself. Look how she’s trembling and about to break into laughter. I’m going to go over and tickle her and get this over with. ”
             PAY HER NO MIND! Don’t you dare put your hands on her,” insisted Seven. “Now, THAT answer… is the most unexpected and unconventional response you could have given. You’d better have a believable explanation for that one.”
             “It’s simple. I like looking at things that have potential for development. A lump of clay versus the finished vase. The stacked timber versus the completed house or carved furniture. Her pimpled face will become clear and pale as snow. Her hands, when not balled up into fists that she constantly holds against her belly, have fingers that are long and graceful and strong. I’m guessing she probably plays an instrument. All of her features are absolutely symmetrical. And if you get her to stop squinting in that pinched face she always has on, you see piercing violet eyes—a shade I’ve never seen before. I get the feeling she is afraid to reveal herself because of the attention she will then draw, because she’s essentially shy.”
             “You ARE perceptive,” admitted Seven. “I know that girl. And I agree she is underestimated by all. And now you’ve admitted something to me you probably didn’t intend.”
             “Oh?”
             “You were at my banquet weren’t you? That little girl rarely leaves her family home.”
            “I … may have been … yes, I was.”
            “I saw you sitting in your master’s place, reserved for the son of the Duke of the Jewel River Valley. So where is he? You said he’d be here this morning. Or is this more deception?”
            “I apologize. I spoke in a way to make you think we were two different men. I am he.” Three showed his father’s ducal ring the seal that had been entrusted to him to transact capital business.
            “You obscured your rank. Why would you do that?” asked Seven.
            “I have found it harder to have honest conversations, or conversations at all, if drop that rank in front of others at the start. Both you and Master Shum would have said nary a word to me had I done so. I learn a lot of things that way.”
            “So what did you learn from me?”
            “That if such women as yourself exist in this world, that it was time for me to take a wife.”
            “Shouldn’t you be talking to your parents about that?”
            “Mother is dead. My father is incapable of thinking beyond a day. Mother was the one who gave him guidance. My two older brothers seem to enjoy acting like boys rather than men, so I’ve been taking care of all of them. If I am ever to marry, I have to arrange it myself. It’s very embarrassing.” Three looked down at his lap. His circumstances seemed to shame him. [back to the Capital tongue] “Qi?”
            “Yes?”
            “What happened to us out there? Was that a dream? Were we in a play? Were those people really your family? If so, you must have been fostered because they didn’t look anything like you.”
            “I don’t know what this place is. It’s a separate world, this Evergreen Inn. It’s all too frighteningly honest for me. You saw more truth about me than I would ever have admitted.”
            “Same here.”
            “You asked to marry me.”
            “I did.”
            “Why?”
            “Because I believe I found a better match than any go-between could. Don’t you think we’d make a great pair? And it’ll save me some money, which I’ll just add to your bride price. But why waste time on all the ceremony? We’re not a couple of 16-year-olds.”
            “Our social stations are highly unequal. It will be awkward.”
            “My dad will not care. He’ll be happy at least one of his boys got married and he didn’t have to do anything about it.”
            “If we were subjects of the Hsia Kingdom we’d be married now.”
            “There is that. We’re still under the Qing.”
            “And because of that, I cannot be your wife.”
            “Your father, or whoever he was, seemed pretty happy to take 25 gold coins from me to promote that illusion.”
            “I’m sorry. I don’t know how to recompense you for that. Truth is, I’m already betrothed to another by my sovereign lord above the ‘father’ you just met.”
            “It’s just gold. A clever man can always get more. Who is your betrothed? Maybe I can buy out your contract?”
            “I don’t think so. I told you I am in service to the Princess Seven? I will accompany her to the north and will be married to man in the service of the Great Field General Zuo, her groom.”
            “A staff member of the great war hero. That’s some pretty stiff competition. I see what you mean. But if I find a way to get your betrothal expunged, would you be willing to be my wife? I apparently have your ‘parents’’ consent.
            “I guarantee you will not be successful in negotiations of that kind. Even so, I have never in my life entertained the possibility that I could be with a man of my own choice. It’s very strange—it only happens in operas. But you seem interesting enough. If there were a way I could find myself on your ship when you sail, would you even take me? I’ll probably bring you great trouble.”
            “For all that talking around it, I’m just going to take that as a ‘yes’ and work on that possibility if you don’t mind. We already know much more about each other than most couples on their wedding day and we’re both still interested. What could go wrong?”
            “I’m very flattered you would think of me in that way.”
            “It’s not every day I meet someone with a passion equal to mind about food. I’m sure we will grow old and become quite fat and happy together if given the chance. But, if I cannot have your lifelong companionship as a wife, let’s savor this time together as friends and colleagues.”
            “If we only had a good cup of wine to seal that sentiment,” agreed Seven.
            At this time Winemaker Li spoke up, “You’re sitting in a damned wine cellar!” He had returned with platters of assorted dumplings. “God! You were going on and on. I thought you would never break. Eat up, eat up! These small cakes and dumplings are daytime specialty!” The hungry pair attacked their plates with vigor.
            “Maid!” Li cried, “come give me hand.” They disappeared deep into the cellar and as Seven and Three were finishing up, Li and the Maid returned each carrying a wooden rack holding nine cups in a row, each with a small portion of wine, setting them in front of Three and Seven.
            “Sir,” said Li, “I hope you don’t mind my taking a bit of your time for our Assistant Kitchen Supervisor to tend to a bit of business?”
            “Looks like an enjoyable bit of business, sir,” said Three.
            “Madame Cui trusts your nose, my dear, to select the wine for the wedding banquet.”
            “Mine?”
            “I can think of no one more qualified, can you?” Li grinned deviously into Seven’s eyes as he said this.  “I MUST take advantage of this rare opportunity since you have NEVER been able to come to my shop until today. Here is my dilemma, you might be interested in this story my dear boy. Royal princesses are married off at age 17. As the imperial chartered winemaker I prepare a wedding wine one year in advance of the event. Unfortunately the Princess Seven, whose discriminating palate you know best, has delayed marriage for nine years, and for each of those years I have prepared a batch. So we have a choice of nine. I want you to do a tasting and make the selection.”
            “Oh that should be no problem,” said Seven, but working through the entire flight, she found it was like picking a favorite child. In the end, Three convinced her pragmatically to go with the most current batch. “But what will happen to the other batches?”
            “That’s the problem,” said Li. “I don’t know what to do with them. They’re almost sanctified for one particular use. I hate to dump them, but they’re so distinctive that if I sold them here I would probably get into trouble.”
            “Are you willing to sell them to me?” asked Three. “If you’ll work on a letter of credit, I can get you paid in cash or product later. I’m bound for the southern provinces and the ship is pretty empty so I’d be glad to take back some cargo. I’m sure I can sell them far enough away from here to avoid scrutiny. They’re very good. Some of my business partners are always taking on a new wife or marrying off a daughter. They will be fulfilling their noble purposes.” The two men agreed to meet later.
            “So tell me how a noble, a Duke’s son, sees fit to sully his hands with commerce?” asked Seven.
            “It wasn’t always thus and it was not my intent,” said Three. “I passed all the Civil Service Exams, and I scored quite respectably for the southern region that year. I was offered an entry position at the provincial level at the provincial seat, but I was no longer than a month in office when my father sent for me saying that Eldest Brother had been kidnapped by pirates and was being held for ransom and would I please retrieve him by any means necessary. So I declined my position and sailed to some undisclosed location to negotiate for his release. He was freed, but also got the pirate chieftains to agree to stop raiding and burning down our warehouse and dock districts.”
            “How on earth did you do that?”
            “You just talk to them and find out what they want. It’s always less than you think. Give them something they want and ask for things in return. That’s about it. Turns out I was very good at it. When we stopped getting burned out every year, we started to make money. I convinced some of my pirate colleagues, who tend to be excellent seamen by the way, to at least dabble in shipping for hire and I got a lot of them to go honest and become shareholders in the warehousing enterprises I set up in our port. Our dukedom began to prosper and so father asked if I would stay and manage his affairs. I was concerned that my brothers would find that problematic, but as long as I give them generous gambling and whoring allowances, they’re quite happy. It’s pretty funny, but the pirates have a nickname for me since I have made so many of them go straight.”
            “A nickname?”
            Three laughed. “They call me the Great Prince of Southern China. Isn’t that silly?”
            “Make sure the Emperor never hears about that. He’d have you apprehended and beheaded in a heartbeat.”
            “That’s why I make it a point to send my tax remittance regularly and early.”
            “So Minister Long was correct in assuming you are doing business with pirates?”
            “What? How did you hear that rumor?”
            “The palace gossip chain runs wide and fast.”
            “I run everything through the books. No piracy income. It seems leading a life of full disclosure is not normal. It makes everyone nervous—knowing the truth, that is. I’m sorry I wound up insulting him, Minister Long. I had hoped I could enter his service, I’ve read all of this treatises. But it looks like I made a bad impression and there’s probably no chance of qualifying for a place on his staff.”
            “I think you underestimate your reputation in the capital. I made some inquiries about you. The prosperity of the Jewel River Valley has not gone unnoticed.”
            “Meh. Someone’s being kind. We’re a backwater district. I was seated between an awkward teenager whom everyone avoids and an old foreign woman who is a recluse in her own body.”
            “You have to think bigger than that. You were next to them because we were seated boy-girl. You were put as near as possible to the Headmaster of the Mountain View Preparatory Academy because he is working on a grammar of the southern dialects, and by the retired ambassador because of your knowledge of Japanese because of your maritime trading experience. I heard he was quite pleased that you got his wife to speak in public. He has never been able to do that.”
            “Yeah? Let me tell you, he is one earthy guy. He gave me some advice while I was in the capital.”
            “Did he?”
            “Since I’m a young man, he gave me a contact whom he said could procure me a woman or a boy should I have the need.”
            “He would!” Seven said rolling her eyes. “The ambassador’s wife has a staff nickname, by the way.”
            “And that is?”
            “Old Dead Fish.”
            “How picturesque. Since you’re a supervisor, I’m sure you have a derogatory nickname too. Out with it. This is going to be good.”
            “I don’t.”
            “Don’t be too sure about that.”
             “It’s impossible. Anyway, don’t be too discouraged by your table seating. This is just your first visit. You will be invited back. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if you were put next to Fart Toad, her real name is South Phoenix by the way, so that her parents could assess whether to hire a go-between to approach you. How far off the mark are they?  You already said you fancied her the most attractive woman there, other than myself, of course.”
            Three laughed at Seven’s ironic vanity. “You have a point. You’re very good with court politics.”
            “When you work in the kitchen you hear everything.”
            “Now you know why I masquerade as working class. However, I suppose I have kept you longer than your boss will tolerate, so I graciously thank you for your company and wish you a good life, a faithful marriage, and a family rich with many sons as you move to the north. I regret that you will not be here in the capital on any of my future returns that you suppose I will be making.”
            Hearing the course of the conversation start to come to an end, the maid sounded a bell to signal Li’s return, who hurried down with a jar and an odd goblet in hand.
            “Mister Li,” said Three, “I was just going to come up and settle the bill.”
            “No need. There is an anonymous benefactor who paid your bill.”
            “What? I’ll not hear of it.”
            “Complain all you want. I’ll not take your cash because I have been paid. But instead allow me to pour a parting cup of my most popular wine.” He set out a twin bowled goblet and filled both sides.
            “What is that contraption?” asked Seven.
            “Since you two handsome people will not give me the grace of consummating your ancient nuptial rites on my premises, let’s have a go at a little wedding party frivolity shall we? You seem like an adventurous pair.
            He continued. “This goblet is a test of how well a husband and wife can work as one. The object is for the couple to drink this cup together without spilling on themselves. It’s impossible when the husband is much taller than the wife, but when the couple is about the same height, as you two are, it can be done. In the first round the husband usually drinks too fast and dumps wine all over the woman. In the second round she’s peeved and intentionally dumps the cup on him. By the time you get to the fifth filling, no one can coordinate anymore. It’s great fun. And then all the other couples take turns.
            “That sounds positively wasteful,” said Seven.
            “Yes, but we sell a LOT of wine that way.”
            “I think we can have a go at that,” said Three.
            “Yes, but take off that green robe first,” said Li. “I will not allow you to wear such a thing when drinking a wedding cup. Even facetiously.”
            “Why is that?” asked Seven.
            “It’s said that the man who wears green is destined to raise other men’s children. It’s the color of the cuckold.”
            “Peasant superstitious be damned. It’s my favorite robe and my favorite wife. I’ll not be denied.”
            “Suit yourself then.”
            “Besides, my brothers have inflicted their children into other families for some time now. It’s probably only fair turnabout. I’m always suffering from their accrued karma.”
            “Oh shush,” said Seven. “Let’s drink. This wine is a good one. Don’t go too fast. Make an effort to enjoy it.”
            “You set the pace, I’ll follow,” said Three.
            “Are you two sure you don’t want to visit the wedding chamber?” Li quipped. They all had a good laugh and then Three and Seven picked up the cup and downed it in one tipping.
            “Perfect unison,” said Li. “It was too easy. Such a shame,” he clucked.
            “We would be quite boring at a drinking party,” said Three. “Thank you for excellent food, drink, and service Master Li.” The winemaker took a bow and removed himself back upstairs. “You know, we never got around to talking about the Princess Banquet. It was the best nine-courser I’ve ever attended.”
            “Thank you. Coming from a professional food expert like yourself, it means a lot. I do have a complaint to lodge against you, however?”
            “Oh?”
            “Your turmeric in the soup suggestion?” she said dismissively.
            “Really? I thought you got the amount exactly right. You didn’t know it was there, but it perked everything up.”
            “That’s just it. Everybody loved the soup and kept talking about it and ignored the next two courses. My planned focus for that part of the dinner went right out the window.”
            “I’m not going to apologize for being a genius.”
            “If only I’d known. I’d have made it course seven followed by a strong wine.” Seven paused and smiled to herself. “It’s a good thing I’m not able to marry you. My figure would become as large as Mama Horse’s in no time.”
            “Mama Horse?”
            “She was the large matronly attendant assisting Toad last night.” Three nodded. Seven continued, “Before we part, I have my Manager’s Gift for you.”
            “What? So soon?”
            “I fear the chances of us meeting again will be slim to none so it's now or never. When you gave me your pendant, it surprised me because I remembered that I have one very similar to it.” She reached into her tunic and removed a gold pendant from around her neckand handed it to him. It was a round medallion on which there were figures of four tiny dogs at each of the compass points, all surrounding a large red gem. “They’re of a kind, aren’t they? Except yours has five dogs to my four.”
            “Is there a story behind yours?” asked Three.
            “Same as yours. An older relative gave it to me as a baby. It signifies the unique circumstances of my birth. I was born in the Year of the Dog, the eleventh year of the cycle, in the eleventh month, on the eleventh day, in the eleventh hour, the Hour of the Dog.”
            “You are a Four-Times Dog too,” said Three.
            “You even know the terminology,” said Seven.
            “We are exactly the same age then,” said Three.
            “I thought so. Were you told you were the most loyal of persons?” asked Seven.
            “I was. And if I were to find another such person, we would have a marriage ...” and then they spoke in unison, “that would be an example to the ages.”
            “I was just telling someone,” said Seven, “that it was a shame that all this loyalty was going to waste.”
            “Perhaps its for the best,” said Three. “The loyal do not need each other. We’re probably both better paired with someone insecure where we will do more good. If you attain completion of perfection, what is there left but death and decay?” He studied the pendant carefully. “These are such odd pieces. But this one is beautiful because it comes from you.”
            “It won’t compensate you for the loss of 25 gold coins, but it will fetch you something, I’m sure.”
            “I’ll never sell it. Whenever I look at it, I’ll remember that no matter where I find myself, out there, somewhere, perfect loyalty exists.”

* * *

            The maid with the Capital Face silently escorted Three to the door and then hurried back down to the cellar. Seven was pacing, waiting impatiently.
            “Silvie! Kindly explain to me what happened with the Zhangs and that whole ancient peasant wedding scenario. You said they were ‘flamboyant,’ but OH MY HEAVEN!”
            “Well … it turns out Mr. Li runs TWO establishments here. I had no idea. If you go in one door, it’s the very elegant, classy teahouse, wine shoppe, and restaurant, which is where Mr. Wang intended to take you and made the initial reservation. There is a second door in which clients enjoy various scenes that they play act with assistance of actors, costumes, props, toys, … and the occasional hired friend-for-the-night. They also just provide discreet accommodations as requested.”
            “For affairs and adulterous trysts, in other words.”
            “I don’t think that’s inaccurate. Don’t you think it’s rather poetic that the two of you, being Four-Time pigs and all . . .”
            “Dogs! He and I are dogs. Shut up.”
            “When Mr. Li got your letter requesting his cooperation on staging the Zhangs as your parents, he assumed you were changing the lunch order from the first type affair to the second type. When we were not here to specify the genre or the time period, he just started them off in a direction the thought best. I’m terribly sorry about that. Luckily Mr. Wang seems the sporting type and went along with it. He seemed to be having fun.”
            “Sigh! My brothers and uncles probably come here.”
            “I shouldn’t be surprised. Want me to find out?”
            “Ye gods. My reputation is officially shot. Li probably thinks I’m as wanton as Princess Nine now.”
            “Don’t worry. Mr. Li, or Gold Talent I should say, is the epitome of discretion.”
            “You MUST tell me. What is in the wedding chamber? I’m dying of curiosity.”
            “I’ve been sworn to secrecy. If I tell you, he will never serve me again.”
            “Uhn! Very well. Report then. What do you think of Three?”
            “He’s too short, too fat, too dark, talks on and on, laughs to easily, lets money slip through his hands, he dresses effeminately, and he has that thick, god-awful, southern accent.”
            “He thinks you’re beautiful. More than me,” said Seven.
            “He wasn’t dumping 50 gold coins to pay my bride price. You still win. Hell, he thinks Fart Toad is more beautiful than me. I am so insulted. What an idiot.”
            “But Fart Toad is beautiful.”
            “The two of you say that. I don’t see it.”
            “Wait until she’s 16. Maybe I should assign you to her for a while. You can teach her how to be conventionally pretty. Now you have to tell me all the good things about him.”
            “Extremely intelligent. Polyglot—seems to know trade languages on end. Negotiates with pirates and lives to tell about it. He’s kind to people of apparently no consequence to him like Fart Toad and Old Dead Fish. Able to turn a failing port into a thriving enterprise community. Treats his servants well, they’re loyal to him. Has good table manners when he thinks about it. Very likeable. I don’t have to tell you he is highly cultured in food and spirits. Shall I go on?”
            “I guess that’s enough. I agree. How do you think he compares with General Zuo so far?”
            “General Zuo, the war hero. How do you think any man would compare? Are you serious? The primary advantage Wang has over Zuo in my book, is that I would not get a venereal disease from Three.”
            “Silvie. How blunt. How can you say such a thing?”
            “My sources tell me that our War Hero is lodging with his lieutenants at the Red Lantern Inn. Really now. The royal groom could stay anywhere  he wanted to. But where a man chooses to stay, a public whorehouse and gambling den says a lot about that part of him.” Seven could only grunt in response.
            “It may be for appearances’ sake,” said Seven hopefully. “He does cultivate this rough and rugged image of personal invincibility and utter manliness. The tough warrior of the plains and all that.”
            “Yes, that could be. But it seems too subtle for what I’ve heard of him. When you think about it, they are quite comparable,” said Silver Bird, “the two of them don’t you think?”
            “Go on.”
            “They are the same rank, outside the military of course. They are both third sons of Dukes. Zuo subdues our northern neighbors by the sword. Wang subdues our southern neighbors by commerce. Would I be disappointed if my dad arranged a marriage for me with Three. Absolutely not. On that note, am I allowed to ask my father if he …”
            “Absolutely NOT. No. YOU can’t have him.”
            “Why not? He’s going to waste. You said so much yourself. I can be a duchess just as well as you can.”
            “I don’t know that I could stand seeing him with you. You’re totally wrong for him. It upsets my sense of aesthetics, of balance.”
            “If I didn’t know better, Miss Never-Finds-Love-to-Be-an-Adequate-Emotion, you seem to be falling for him.”
            “It doesn’t matter. In a few days I’ll be married, and then shortly after that, off to the north. Did you find a family that would lodge Three?”
            “I did mention it to someone.”
            “Who?”
            Silver Bird hesitated. “Just someone I thought adequate at the time.”
            “WHO?”
            “The Headmaster.”
            “What? Toad’s house? You didn’t!”
            “Well, they seemed to hit it off at the banquet and he does know the language that the Headmaster is writing about right now … but don’t worry. The Headmaster said he didn’t think they had space. The academy is almost fully enrolled right now he said. And besides, I didn’t know how you and he felt about little Fa... uh, BEAUTIFUL, GRACIOUS, FRAGRANT, AND COMELY little South Phoenix.”
            “We should go. Let’s think about someone else he can stay with as we walk. He wants to get on the Finance Ministry staff. Who works for Minister Long that might be suitable … hmmm?”
            “Are you paying the Evergreen’s bill, by the way?” asked Silver Bird.
            “No. Li’s probably comping it. We’ve bought so much wine from them. But I imagine the Type 2 service is probably very expensive.”

* * *

            “Wife,” said Master Carpenter Zhang, as they rode back in a sedan to the palace campus, “I’ve never liked children or even the thought of them, noisy, demanding, troublesome things, but for a few moments there it seemed quite nice.”
            “That’s only because you knew you could put aside fatherhood as soon as your role was done,” said Mrs. Zhang.
            “Eh, I suppose you’re right.”
            “What were you talking to Master Li about back there?”
            “I had decided to settle Wang’s bill since he paid so handsomely for my permission that amounts to nothing. It was going to be the same coin anyway when you think about it. However, Li had and alternative payment suggestion to me. We are retiring from our positions at the palace and I am going to build a new wing for the Evergreen Inn.”
            “Goodness. That will be a change for us.”
            “I’ve recruited you too. Seems he wants to accurately re-create the Emperor’s bedroom and private chambers for his play-acting business and I’m the man to supervise it. I should know too. I’ve done all the remodels for the last 25 years. And you can re-create the furnishings.”
            “That’s quite ambitious.”
            “After that, we are moving to that farm in the country that I have been eyeing for a while. We can then ‘buy’ our own ‘children’ to take care of us in our dotage and the monks in the local temple will pray for us and burn sacrifices thereafter.”
            “What will you do if our ‘grandson’ shows up wanting to learn your trade?”
            “Then I will make a master carpenter of him, o’ course.”
            “Do you think the Princess Seven would actually set sail with that young Duke?”
            “If that’s what she wants to do, she will do it. Eunuchs, generals, and tradition be damned. I should have warned that young man he’s inviting a world o’ trouble getting involved with our fair ‘Wandering Bitch.’”
            “She don’t know it yet, but she wants him. Wandrin’ Bitch? Is that REALLY what the tradesmen call her?”
            “She makes a big to-do about bein’ a loyal Dog doesn’t she? Fits. There are other names too.”
            “We girls have our own name for her.”
            “I’d be surprised if you didn’t.”

                                  © 2012 by Vincent Way, all rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!