Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Tamuning Guam mural and Malibu morning picture of the day - Tuesday, July 18, 2016

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

A Tuesday morning "Out of Bounds Gallery" offering:
While I was on the Island of Guam in May-June of this year, I looked around for street art. I've already shared one specimen that I found on a commercial building. Here's another example. This is right across the street from the Visitor's Center, so I'm sure this falls into the category of a public art commission. It has images you would associate with the desires of a Visitor's Center.

Artists Joshua Barrigada Agerstrand and Jiffy Ejan (?), Commemorative Mural, paint on retaining wall (detail).






















The dominant image is that of a a girl, looking half redhead and half mermaid. Here's the makers' mark with a tribute to Miyazaki's Ponyo.
























Moving to the right we have colorful sealife and an outrigger.

























Here we have young people probably depicted in the midst of a traditional dance. I am assuming the brushy nature of the rendering is meant to convey motion. There is the possibility they're shivering, but does it ever get cold on Guam?

Way over on the left there is this depiction of a carabao, the type of water buffalo that you see depicted all over the island.

This was lots of fun to look at. No social commentary or satire here. And that's fine, I wasn't expecting anything of the sort in this venue.  The neighborhood is just a little clean, if you know what I mean.

And down below I'll give the entire length.

There were some runners to the right as you can see (this was probably commemorating a 10K run), but I'm not sure where I put the details that I shot of the right side.







AND NOW BACK TO MALIBU

Here's what today's Tuesday looks like out here ...




























Haze on the horizon, but lots of blue.

OK, gotta go.

Love,
Pops

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!