Monday, February 15, 2016

Malibu morning picture of the day - Monday, February 15, 2016

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

It's Monday. The start of another week for you all. Clear and sunny and the Santa Ana Winds are blowing hard out at the bottom of Malibu Canyon.




























February is now more than half gone. Hope you had a memorable President's Day/Valentine's Day/1st Sunday of Lent/6th Day of Chinese New Year/L.A Marathon Day and whatever else you could think of to celebrate something. (All this coming off Super Bowl Sunday and Mardi Gras). February is short, but it's sure festive.

I was out walking my neighborhood on Saturday, and as festive as February gets, this sad tree overstayed their welcome and has been tossed in the gutter. Nobody loves a Christmas tree this time of year. The needles were as dry as toast. The trickster inside me wanted to get out my matches and dispatch this corpse in blaze of final glory and send its spirit into the air, but I restrained myself. Fear of jail time will do that to you.

I made my way to a new-old Chinese restaurant that opened up in the neighborhood. It's been there under several names; I think it just gets passed around to relatives. The soup stock is good, but the Cantonese entrees I selected were pretty darn bland. Oh well. The drought of good local Chinese food continues in East Holly. I did encounter this little bit of graffiti art border that a merchant didn't mind adorning the part of their building  just above the sidewalk.

Artist unattributed, Decoration, paint on liquor store.
As for my weekend, I attended a Pulitzer Prize winning historian interview an equivalent of a U.S. Supreme Court justice from the U.K. (Lord Mance), an equivalent U.S. Circuit Court judge (Lady Arden DBE), and a 9th Circuit Judge about the Magna Carta, which is enjoying it's 800-year run of relevancy. Originally written for the benefit of Barons, it made it down to us U.S. citizens. Now THAT'S good trickle-down! Are you still reading? Don't worry, I'm done.

As I drove back from the Marina Del Rey Ritz that night, an uncharacteristic fog came in and sat over most of West L.A. I liked the atmospheric feel going down Cochran Avenue with hazy streetlights glowing above, so I tried to take a picture.

If you are a bicyclist or a shy motorcyclist, Cochran is your street for traversing north-south Wilshire to/from South L.A. It's quiet, it's narrow (cars avoid it except locals), it's residential, and all intersections with major streets are regulated by semaphores. It can be hilly in a couple spots, but doable for out-of-shape bicyclists with a low gear.

OK that's all for today. Have a great Monday and a great week.

Love,
Pops

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!