Monday, October 5, 2015

Malibu morning picture of the day - Monday, October 5, 2015

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

On this October Monday in L.A., the clouds are very fluffy today.


























No second look today. It's pretty much the same for 360 degrees.


There may be a few of you who know that I have a audio project website with a URL pretty much the same name as this blog, but with "blogspot." removed. www.windycragtaverne.com In case you've ever wondered about the name "Windy Crag Taverne," it's an anagram of my name.

This last weekend, I finally found a story that I was looking for, which I had written in the early 90s. Since I doubt that I will ever publish in any kind of literal form, I wanted to record it and put it up as a set of audio files. I recorded the first-20 minute segment and posted it yesterday.

It was written as an alternative to the stories that I was reading to my small children at bedtime. As I reconsider it, it is certainly work of my juvenalia, but it's still pretty good (plotwise) and much better than I remember it being. If you listen, pardon the odd inflections. It's been a while since broke open the mic and I haven't thought a great deal about my tone and approach. Consider this a recording of my first rehearsal if you're curious. I think I need to add more speech signals if this going be primarily an oral literature piece, so it will help you to know there are four characters in this part of the narrative: Ch'u, a 17-year-old boy; Baba, his father, a very strong woodcutter; Ch'ang, their landlord and Baba's creditor; and Chuang, the village butcher. I did not realize how similar three characters' names sounded until trying to perform it with great intention (I probably would have given them different names had I been smart enough back in the 1990s.)

Like my story "Cinderella and the Great Prince" which is also there, it's novella length and it's going to take several weeks for me to dig up the time to record it all. So if you don't like getting things piecemeal, make a mental note and check it out a few months from now.

Have a great Monday and a great week!

Love,
Pops


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!