Thursday, October 29, 2015

iT'S STreeT arT THurSDay in eaST HoLLyWooD! with Malibu pic of the day - Thursday, October 29, 2015

Dear Street Art Lovers, Gentle Readers, and other assorted nonconformists,

I said last week I was going show you more the gas station and DIY car wash over which the Enlightened Ones preside on Western, but I'm going to hold off til next week on that.

Since we're going into Halloween this weekend, I can't think of a better mural to lean in that way than this "black" mural with masks.

Artist Hans Haveron,  Figure with Mask in Black, paint on stucco.





















There's not much I can think to unpack about this image. Good, honest street art showing the young female form, but I suppose the model need not be female.

In fact, if you imagine that this is a young man, it REALLY makes it a more complex piece in terms of understanding the symbolism of the mask, the darkness, the shadow, etc., doesn't it? So, yeah. I'm going to interpret it myself as a young man.

I've been meaning to go back and take a better picture (this was at midday this last summer ... on of the worst times of day to photograph street art). The artist is clearly signed on the work, Hans Haveron. He paints people, as in applies paint onto human bodies' skin, and does fantasy-like paintings such as this. Check him out if you digg this genre.


Artist unattributed,
3 Masks, paint on panel.
This beauty is to be found on the side of a restaurant called "The Bun Shop" on Western Avenue near Beverly, on the west side. It was intriguing and it was lunchtime so I went in and ordered. If you have a girlfriend who always dresses in black and adopts a dark, serious, critical kind of attitude, take her here.

It's moody, it's atmospheric, and it's the first time I've seen an interpretation of the steamed bao done like a street taco.

I'm not a food picture-taker, but the "bun" is made round and flat like a taco shell, still steamed to that nice springy bao texture, but loaded with different fillings on top and then folded in half like a taco. Tasty stuff, I'll be going back.


I liked the wall art enough to take pictures. Different artist than Mr. Haveron who did the outside mural, but definitely mood-setting and spooky enough for Halloween.

And here is a larger context shot for you...














AND NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED SEASCAPE



























The Santa Ana winds are whipping up for a few days, so it's absolutely clear blue out here on the coast. You've seen it all. No need for a second look.

Have a wonderful Thursday.

Love,
Pops


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!