Thursday, April 23, 2015

iT'S STreeT arT THurSDay! - No morning picture ... Sorry! Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dear Street Art Lovers,

I keep wanting to get back to the wide variety of typographical graffiti art that's around East Holly, but other weird sh!t just keeps showing up that I gotta share.


Artist: GFS, SUBZ, AVA Artymart, Vlad vs. Barack, paint on brick.
















When I think of street art in other countries, my mind goes to a lot of political commentary, especially Euro street art. Today's offering is in my mind in that tradition of political comment without having to buy a ticket to London or Berlin.

Here we have the presidents of the most powerful countries on Earth engaged in a fencing match, with a Dove of Peace intervening. I think it's an interesting statement that Barack is shown in the aggressor-offensive position, and Putin is set in defense.

If you tuned in Tuesday and Wednesday and found nothing here, I'm sorry. I was on jury duty (still am) so i was unable to snap any morning picture and without digital access for nearly those entire two days.












Also note that this appears on a wall in a neighborhood that is VERY ARMENIAN, people who are quite familiar with Russians and their leaders.

This painter is quite skillful and has captured the essence of the two men's faces pretty well. There was no doubt in my mind as to who these men were.








Here we have the detail of the dove which has been rendered quite nicely, showing detailing of each individual feather. I don't quite understand that the detail is at the point of contact of the two swords. There is a triangular detail, but I don't think it's the dove's feet.

The treatment of the white fencing uniforms is lovely. The shadows are rendered in many colors, rather like a Zurburan painting with a full-spectrum articulation of white, a start chiaroscuro black background, AND you get the impression of the actual texture of the uniform material too.

As to location, you can find this mural at the corner of Hollywood and Normandie.





You will not get pictures for Thursday, Friday, and possibly not M-W next week, so I think instead I will post out-of-area street art that I collected instead. Check in and look. There's a lot of focused concentration on jury duty once they start a case, so I got home really tired. This is the first time I've ever sat on a panel. They're fighting over a big chunk of money, so when it's all over I'll let you know if we gave or blocked some exorbitant sum that we California jurors are famous for awarding.

Gotta go but do check in. Have a wonderful rest of the week.

Love,
Pops

PS Here's the full wall in context.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!