Monday, March 16, 2015

Three Loves Seven, Chapter 22, Part 8 - "Standing on Ceremony"

Dear Gentle Readers,

Have you ever found yourself thrust into a religious ceremony of which you had NO idea what the hell you were doing or what it meant to anyone? An evangelical gets this kind of feeling in a mild sense, even attending a Catholic or Lutheran worship service, which is supposedly the same religion.

This is Clete's predicament in this section. He feel like he ought to go along with what the Sea Witch is having him do, but at the same time, what he does NOT want to do is to do something that will create a contractual obligation or create a liability within that culture. He knows that intent is a highly developed idea in American law, but strict liability is often a component in other social systems. Feng is not here to advise him here in this foreign country of "The Outside," so he has to wing it on his own.

In any event, the story continues ...



     “This is a no-shoes area,” she warned me.

She removed her sandals, opened the small door and crawled in on all fours. A dutiful guest, I did as I was told.  We found ourselves in a paneled room with straw mats neatly mortised and trimmed covering the floor. The room was illuminated with indirect natural light, so it was slightly dim, but rather mimicked the subdued daylight in the forest we had just taken refuge from. There was a small central, short table. She entreated me to pull up a cushion and be seated.

On one side of the table of a draw from which she extracted a scroll which she then hung on the wall. It was several words written in kanji. I recognized a couple of the words from my meager knowledge of Chinese recalled from Chinese school lessons, but the hanging scroll was unintelligible. One word I recognized as “heart.” Written Chinese is not Chinese. “What!” you might say. I would tell you that a Chinese person of course will say that. But that is a very close-minded thing to say. I say that it is a writing system that was invented by people who lived in what we now call China, but it existed even before there was this concept of what we call “China.” I would say in a more fair way that this writing system has been employed in part by the Japanese and the ancient peoples from which modern-day Koreans descend, but to call it all Chinese is to succumb to a China-centric way of thinking. So, I will just say I saw these words up on the wall.

Another word up on a hanging was the number 10. I knew enough that while these are words by themselves, but used in combination with other characters they can take on other meaning. Still, they were like familiar friends caught sight of in a room of strangers, and so I focused my attention on them.

The room was neat and tidy, but it was obviously it was regularly used and cleaned. The smells of past meal preparations had been absorbed into the mats. It was not unpleasant. The room did not look like someone’s home, but it smelled like someone’s home.

There was a small stove there in the room; it was fueled with canister gas, propane I’d imagined. She poured water from an earthen jug into a small cast iron kettle and set it on the stove fire. She set a double boiler on the second burner, filling the lower pot with water, pouring some sort of wine into the top. The food preparation area in the corner where she was working was not matted, but rather had a floor of dressed stone.


     “May I help?” I asked.
     “This service is mine to perform. I know that you want talk. And we will. But we must first put our hearts into harmony with the gods. Take this time now to think about all you have received and are grateful for. I shall do the same.”
     “You’ve been moving around on your knees faster than people move around on their feet. And it’s like you’re gliding. You haven’t spilled a drop.”
     “It is a way of life for me. Though, I will take that as a compliment.”
     “Please do.”


Her words were directive but soothing. I decided to cooperate. Luckily, gratitude came easy to me. In a lot of ways, I’m just a Sunday Christian, but offer prayers in thanks I’d have to say is my only real spiritual practice. I got tired of being in churches where prayer time was basically a grocery list. The “give us our daily bread” part? To me there’s no point in asking if you’ve got the ability to go get it. It was good to see this pagan priestess got this part right. I just went into my usual meditative mode.
After sitting a bit, she set out 10 small candles. Her worldview was sure hung up on the number 10. Probably based on the 10 fingers of the hands.


     “I will say each of the 10 words,” she offered. “You will repeat them. You will think what these words mean to you. We will take turns lighting the candles as they are spoken in turn.”
     “Loyalty.” (Of course, I thought. I kept running into this here.)
     “Authenticity.” (Now THAT’s novel.)
     “Authority.” (Ugh! Where’s the door?)
     “Limitation.” (Double ugh!)
     “Legacy.” (Can you spell B-A-G-G-A-G-E?)
     “Life and death.” (ALL RIGHT! I’m sorry about killing all of those ants that pissed off Qi. Maybe I am a karma factory.)
     “Faithfulness.” (This again—isn’t this the same as #1? Guess the guru ran out of ideas here.)
     “May I add that this is specific to being faithful to one’s spouse.” (What? Is she a mind reader? Well, she is a Witch … Maybe I need to ask follow-up questions on some that made me scoff.)
     “You are visibly flinching. Is this an issue for you?”
     “How can it be when one is not married?”
     “I understand you told the Second Princesses that you were.”
     “That … was a very, very long time ago. Word gets around here doesn’t it?”
     “It’s a small island. Very well. Let us continue. Control.” (Sounds good to me. But mostly when I’m in control, that is.)
     “Truth.” (Ah! A very useful tactic when skillfully employed.)
     “Contentment.” (A most elusive virtue for us capitalist Americans. I try to be content, but I sure miss being younger and stronger.)


I have to say, all of that introspection just succeeded in putting me in a foul and bitter mood. She opened a cupboard and fetched a container from which she removed a large sheet of a cracker-like baked good, which she broke into several pieces roughly two-inches square each. She got out a jar of orange goop that looked rather like Cheez-Wiz, which she spread on each of these pieces. They did not look appetizing. The smell had the nature of some sort of fermented bean curd.

The water came to a boil. She put a few spoonfuls of green powder into a bowl to which she added the water and stirred it resolutely with a whisk. She had set the goop-laden cracker chips on a metal tray that she had set over the stove burner. These she transferred to a plate that she set before me. She poured the heated wine from the double boiler into a second bowl.


     “Are you ever going to remove your mask?” I asked. "I like to see who I'm talking to."
     “You are sitting in the House of the 10th god who is over the other gods, the one whose true name is not knowable. Whose grim visage is terrible to behold and to look upon it is death. I represent that glorious host while you are in this house, so think not about me.”


She handed me a flimsy piece of joss paper.


     “We will lift each other’s grievances now.”
     “What does that entail?”
     “You need only repeat after me. ‘For all that you have done to give me the right of retribution or just cause for revenge and vendetta I release you.’”
     “I can’t say that. The 10th god never did anything to me.”
     “I would argue that the 10th god has acted against you as it has everyone, but in this part of the ceremony we are proxies.”
     “Proxies? For whom?”
     “The living and the dead.”
     “So I’m saying this for someone else right? Not for me?”
     “It is better if you mean it for yourself as well.”
     Well, I don’t think I have any active lawsuits right now. And Luther did say ‘Without faith, there is no sacrament.’”
     “If that helps you to perform the ceremony, so be it.”
     “What if I just get up and leave right now?”
     “Whether with me or someone else, the ceremony must be done. But to leave now would be highly improper and extremely rude.”
     “Will you strike me down with something like prostate or testicular cancer? That’s the kind of thing you do according to Ting Ting.”
     “You probably already have prostate cancer. It is a normal development in men. You seem to care a lot about what you are asked to say.”
     “Damn right I do.”
     “And yet you hurl curses so blithely about.”
     “You know. I really, REALLY hate it when strangers point out my hypocrisies so clearly to me. Have you thought I might consider that rude?”
     “Are you ready now? Shall I repeat it for you?”
     “‘For all that you have done to give me the right of retribution or just cause for revenge and vendetta I release you.’”
     “Put anything you want to rid yourself of on the paper in your hand.”
     “Write on it?”
     “If you wish, I have a pen. But thinking it is enough. Strike this match and light the paper that I hold in my right hand.”
     “You’re not serious.”
     “Light it.”


She calmly let the paper flare up and then burn to an ash in her palm.


     “Didn’t that hurt?”
     “My skin is burned yes. But it must hurt. Your turn. Hold out your hand.”
     “I don’t think so.”


I looked her in the eyes through the mask. She had tears welling in them. I held out my hand and I let her light the paper. Damn but did that sting, but I would not let her outdo me in stoicism. She pulled out a lidded ceramic bowl that had some kind of salve within. She pulled out a generous dollop and put it on her right palm. She put her burned hand on mine and we rubbed the ointment on each other’s hand. It was some kind of topical anaesthetic that immediately cooled down the inflammation and removed the pain. I looked at my hand it had been completely restored.


     “What the hell is that stuff? Aloe?”
     “You were feeling irritated, restless, and maybe a bit guilty just a minute ago. Is it gone? Do you perhaps feel empty now?”
     “I still have a lot of problems.”
     “They are waiting for you outside. Waiting to be picked back up.”
     “I don’t need to pick mine up. They’ll just jump right on my back.”
     “Not to be denied.
     “I guess I’m empty enough.”
     “Then be filled.”


She lifted the tea bowl and passed it to me. There was some rigamarole of turning the cups this way and that, but after a bit I took it and lifted it to my lips. I surprised me that it was still hot. I was not meditating as long as I thought I had. The tea bitter at the start, turning flat, then toasty, then ending on a sweet note. I drank one half the bowl. I assumed it was to be shared and I handed it back to her. She drained it.

The tray of crackers was offered to me. I took one and ate it. She did likewise. The essential salty-sour taste of fermented slime moved me back to my childhood home for a moment and then the nostalgia passed.

The bowl of rice wine then was passed in front of me. Like the tea, I took in one half and she finished the rest. The small token nourishment had its effect. We sat together like that feeling the caffeine, the carbs, and the alcohol move through us like waves. It was enlightening and draining all at once.
Just as I thought I would not bear the intensity of this encounter any more, the Sea Witch clapped her hands together. The sound jolted me back into my body.


     “Rise. Face me.”


She positioned my hands, palms up at waist level. Hold them firmly in place. She raised her palms and smartly slapped them against mine. It stung. She positioned her hands as I had. She nodded. I stared at her through the eyeholes of her mask, unsure. Her eyes narrowed and she nodded abruptly. I raised my open hands and brought them against hers. It stung just as badly as when she had struck me. She held her reddened hands shoulder level, palms open toward me, fingers spread. I did the same. We interlocked hands. She gave a reassuring squeeze to each, which I returned. We released.


      “Let the doors be open. Let the light shine in.”


We walked to the doors. She slid hers to the left, me to the right. The light flooded the room, along with the smell and sounds of The Grove. She threw the remaining cracker bits about the ground around the porch. We padded back to the small door to put on our shoes, and then seated ourselves on the porch.



© Copyright 2012 by Vincent Way, all rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!