Thursday, January 22, 2015

Malibu morning picture of the day - iT'S STreeT arT THurSDay! - Thursday, January 22, 2015

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

So glad you're with me today for Street Art Thursday where we dip into the visual richness of wall art that is to be enjoyed all over the streets of East Hollywood. Our topliner today is a red-bearded man on wolf-back.

Artist "uneg" (?), Peach Beach, paint on brick





























detail (remember her?)
This particular mural is right around the corner from where I live, and it's one of my favorites because it is so joyful and quirky. It adorns the side of a building, and I think it was commissioned by the small party-goods store because there seems to be some correspondence to some of the wall text and the signage on the store as well.

This is of course a riff on the stock-in-trade subject for paintings, mounted figures. Usually it's rich men or women on their horses, but this fellow is obviously a Dodger fan who likes to wear carpenter pants. His wolf (or wolf-like dog) steed very handily carries a skate board presumbly for when he/she tires.

detail - "Guardian figure sinister"
You saw a detail from this mural in an earlier blog post.

Our rider is book-ended by these two figure-heads who appear to be some type of guardians. I think they've got that synthetic Cubist, pseudo-African mask thing going on that Picasso liked to play with.

The artist's signature was not obvious, but in the lower left of the left-hand (sinister) figure, we may have it with this "neg" indicator.

detail - "Guardian figure dexter"
And here's as much as I can get in one. This is hard to photograph because utility boxes are in the way and there are ALWAYS young men from the car repair shop or the party shop hanging out in front of it. The sexy fish girl would be WAY on the left.

Apologies for the sunburst on the topliner, but I think I've figured out how to eliminate such glare with my camera phone. Taking pics of outdoor murals with a camera phone is turning out to be something of a trick...




This mural has been up for a while (Santa Monica and Heliotrope) so the colors are pretty faded. I hope you don't mind that I "shopped" it a quite a  bit to get back to what I remember was its original vibrancy when it first went up years ago.

Malibu Morning Picture of the Day

And here's the view on the coast today:



























Lookin' like it'll be nice and clear and sunny today--we'll see.

Zeroing on the horizon area a little to the east, we get some red color bands over Saddleback Mountain.

Well, that's today's view.

Hope you have just as nice a sky where you are.

Love,
Pops



PS: One more from the "Xmas 2014 That Will Not Die" spotted today on Channel Road just as I was about to make the turn on PCH. Thank God for backed-up traffic at the light ... ( I never thought I would be saying that ... ).

One big EFFIN' wreath! If I paid that much for something I wouldn't want to take it down either...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!