Saturday, December 20, 2014

Three Loves Seven - Chapter 21, Part 2 - Why, It's a Qing Dynasty Audio Recording Device Made Out of Wood and Silk

Dear Gentle Readers,

AUTHOR'S NOTE: A couple of weeks ago I tried putting a "adult content" marker on my blog because Clete has such a foul mouth, but it made access cumbersome and middle-school boys talk just as dirty as he does, so I removed it. 

Those of you who are reading this story know that its content is pretty G-rated otherwise (it's a romantic comedy, really!). There are no detailed scenes where I describe pulsating, glistening body parts as they are employed in the physiological functions for which they are designed by God and nature (that is the definition of obscenity, right?). Nor is there great treachery and murder (there may be mayhem, I haven't decided yet).

So, there will be warning of foul language henceforth. Those wishing to avoid such language are invited to read and just make the following mental substitutions and you'll be fine:

A Clete Wong glossary:
Fuck! Shit! (exclamation) = Oh my! Rats!
Holy shit! = Now that's something! Would ya look at that!
fucking (adj) = friggin', very, exceptionally, unusually excessive
Goddamn (adj) = gosh-darn, very unpleasant, wholly disagreeable
Goddamn it! (exclamation) = That displeases me no end! So frustrating! You are in error.
What the fuck! = It's hard to believe that can happen so.
Go to fuckin' hell! = A moment please? I need to gather my thoughts.
Fuck off! = Not to worry, I can handle this.
Go fuck yourself! = Thank you, but your assistance is no longer necessary.

You get the idea. Hope this is helpful. Vocabulary Corner is now over. Back to our regular programming.


We pick right up in chronological order from where we left off last week. Remember that the conceit of this part of the story is that it is a mash-up by the island historian of various journal and diary entries and recalled conversations that she has preserved and collected.

Last week was a recollection by the eldest of the Second Princesses, Ling, daughter of Lee, the Guardian Princess of the Water Element. It falls to the oldest Seconds to deal with the occasional seaweed harvest. Qin Qin pulled Wen off after discovering that the old manuscripts from The Outside, which may say something about the Island's history, were written not in literary or numerical code, but rather in musical code, tablature corresponding to markings left on an old guqin (zither) by an early noble inhabitant of Dog Island.

If that all sounds like nonsense to you, you're just going to have to go back and read all the past entries... I'm sorry. Ain't no way I can easily recap everything.

There will be three major turnings coming up. We are getting close to the first turning, but we've got to get Clete out of jail first, and he has to interact with Ting-Ting (they've met briefly) and the Sea Witch. So hang in there.

Thanks for reading.

Love,
Pops




[Reporter’s note: building upon Ling’s recollection, I have added the conversation that Wen and I  had when further researching how to further decode the Outside Manuscripts. –Q]


We went to Wen’s house to pick up her guqin. My plan was that we would go from there to the lab where all of the Outside Manuscripts had been scanned. However as we approached we heard Wen’s mother Feng working in the classroom.

     “The instrument is in there,” said Wen.
     “Good. Run in and get it.”
     “No. Mother will question why I am not with the seaweeders.”
     “Just tell her I needed you more.”
     “Like that will work. Be serious.”
     “What’s the problem?”
     “Dereliction of duty is a major offense to her. Aren’t you afraid of getting beaten?”
     “It happens to me all the time.”
     “You have no sense of shame. I’m different.”
     “We need to get her out of there then. I’ll set the shed on fire. That will be easy. That will distract her.”
     “Qin! No! Why are you like this?”
     “I”ll help rebuild it later. I promise? This is important.”
     “I am not going to cooperate if you do things like that.”
     “Awww. We’re going to have to wait until tonight then! This is awful.”
     “What’s the hurry?”
     “I’m sorry. It’s just that when you get close to finding something out, you really want to get it done.”
     “I am building my own instrument. It’s not fully sanded and lacquered, and there are no pearl insets yet, but I think it will play if I string it up.”
     “It’s probably in your house too then?”
     “No, it’s at The Shrine, which has that nice workshop room. Aunt Ting Ting gave me space to work there. I like to think building it there from wood grown in the grove will give it special powers.”
     “Will Aunt Ting Ting question why you are not seaweeding?”
     “No. She always welcomes me, asks how the project is going, and never asks other questions. She is so easygoing. Jie is so lucky.”
     “I don’t think she’s the same way with Jie as she is with you.”
     “Oh? Why?”
     “Because you’re Feng’s daughter.”
     “Why would that make a difference?”
     “You mother is more important.”
     “The Tortoise Guardian isn’t any more important than the Phoenix Guardian. They are both on the Security Council. I don’t follow.”
     “You are too close to the subject. The only one more important than your mother is Mu. Never mind! Let’s just go the The Shrine and get YOUR instrument.”

We arrive at The Shrine Workshop and came upon Jie and Ting Ting  at work on preparations for the festivals for Seven Seven and for Lost Souls. As Wen had said, Auntie Ting Ting welcomed us warmly.

     “So nice to see you Qin Qin. And thank you for dressing properly to attend business in The Shrine.”
     “Properly?”

I looked down at myself. My hair had dried out somewhat and was loose about me and I had on nothing. I ran off the beach totally undressed. How had I not noticed? Thank goodness I had my glasses. AND I had my new boots on.

     “Umm. I’m a little cold? Do you have something I can throw on?” Auntie Ting Ting’s smile turned into a frown. “Never mind. I’m fine, Auntie,” I said correcting myself as I put my head onto the floor, kow-towing in apology.  Auntie gave me a satisfied nod and moved off. I rose and Wen gave me a questioning look. I whispered to her, “For your information, Temple Guardian is more important than Fire Guardian. You are SO uninformed about our real hierarchies because you’re at the top. I swear.”


I had drawn a diagram of all the characters that were inscribed at all of the standard stops on the antique guqin. I had a copy of the opening page of the Outside Manuscripts and we went slowly converting each tablature symbol into its corresponding character ideogram. This gave us a string of words where some of them made sense next to one another, but mostly it was nonsense.  We then had to search our vocabularies of all the possible sound-alike words and substitute them in until we had a phrase that made some sense.  It was mentally exhausting. After a few hours we had to take a break. We had not even cracked the first complete sentence.


     “Qin. This is going to take months, don’t you think?” said Wen. “Maybe years?”
     “I know,” I said dropping my head down. “Why did she write like this? Why not just write what she wanted to say in classical Chinese?” I said.  We were working on the floor of the workshop.  I flopped back and stared up at the ceiling. I shut my eyes.

Wen took up her instrument and sounded the notes we had spent time on. At first she just played the notes, teaching her fingers where to move from one to the other. And then, she tried to make shape them into a tune.

     “What are you doing with the notes?” I asked.
     “Tablature only tells you what notes to play. It doesn’t tell you how to play them with each other. No lengths, no expression, no dynamics. The player must make those choices. I’m making some choices.”
     “Sounds complicated.”
     “It can be.”

I shut my eyes to rest them as Wen worked out a rhythm. As she played the sound fell into the cadence of a spoken phrase. She did it over and over. And then, I thought I heard fragments of sentence:

     “Gr______, m__ d___r, ____er granddaugh____ …”

     “Wait! Did you hear THAT?” I said.
     “It’s odd. When I play it like that it almost sounds like someone whispering, muffled, with no consonants. Like they are talking behind a wall.”
     “What did you do?”
     “I am just  trying to shape the notes into a pattern that makes sense.”
     “Try harder. Think more conversation. Not song.”
     “Greetings, m___ ____r granddaughter …”
     “Still fuzzy, but I could hear two definite words. Can you do it all like that?”
     “Maybe.”
     “I just had a thought. She composed this using her own instrument. And supposedly we have her instrument. The Ancient one. If you played it on hers, I wonder if it would make a difference.”
     “A plucked string is a plucked string. How different could it be? And anyway, I’m not allowed to touch the Ancient Instrument. Only the Sea Witch and the Court Musician may handle it. It’s so old it might fall apart.”
     “But you’re the Apprentice Court Musician, and we’re here anyway, so it’s just in one of these cupboards right? The Sea Witch allowed me to touch it that one time. It seemed sturdy enough to me. I’m sure it’s fine.”
     “Qin! Restrain yourself.”
     “Hang on. I’m just going to look in all of these cupboards. It won’t hurt just to look at it again. Where did Natsuki put it again …”
     “SIGH! The closet. To the right. Fourth shelf from the bottom. I feel my own bottom hurting so bad—oh the caning we are going to get … ”




© Copyright 2012 by Vincent Way, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!