Thursday, December 4, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Thursday, December 4, 2014

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

I left today's snapshot of the ocean-sky uncropped because all of the other details give you that rain-washed feeling--we had two stormy days here. It also gives you a reminder of the scope of the height of the promontory on which I stand each morning.





























No major mudslide mishaps--a usual happening in this part of California. Everything looks it went through the rinse cycle.

The second look picture is the view from the bus stop in Santa Monica where I pick up the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) line up to my employer. It's cut off at the roofline. There was a bank of golden clouds as the sun was coming up. Can't see it so much at this size, but the darkness of that massive tree makes the clouds pop out at you when you are there.

And once again folks, it is Street Art Thursday ...

Untitled study in the meander motif,  by artists LOK and LTSM, spray paint on stucco
There is no getting around that utility box, but that's part of the limited beauty of murals in a crowded cityscape isn't it? You can never full take in the whole picture.

This mural has been here on the side of a Mom-n-Pop Salvadoran market for years on the corner of Edgemont and Fountain. The plaster is starting to fall off in a couple of spots, but it has kept its intensity over the years.

It uses a limited palette, keeping your eye interested by moving it around with the larger shapes, defining surfaces with constant labyrinthian movement. It has a Mayan kind of vibe to me that they're drafting off of I think. It gives the sense to me of a vibrant city at night, glowing purple.

It was quite impressive when it went up. It always catches my eye as I walk by.








And as my parting shot today, let me give this long view of the cloud bank just to the left of our opening scene. "Deem your carps people!"

Love,
Pops


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!