Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Dear family, friends, and gentle readers,

It is midweek and here is the picture of the day:
























The sunlight was coming up redder than usual this morning. Clear skies at the coast.

I'm going to throw my Barnsdall Park pictures for the rest of the week, just because I like them and they're a little bit different. Hope you don't mind.

These are obviously self-portraits of young artists from a class in 2004--all young adults now if they made it this far. I hope they're still making art.

A legible day
This mural depicts the famous HOLLYWOOD sign. I grew up looking at it every day that I went outside. I think it's hilarious that it used to be an advertisement for a real estate developer selling subdivision lots up on Bronson. It's very much in the Pop Art sensibility that way. I've known a few people who live up in that part of town and they absolutely hate all the tourists who clog up the narrow streets trying to get to the sign.

A hurts-to-breathe day
When I was a kid, the relative legibility of the sign was a pretty good measure of how bad the smog was that day, depending on how hazy it looked from the schoolyard. We also had the "Take a Deep Breath" Test where at lunchtime outside, if you took a really deep breath and it hurt the back of your throat, we knew it was a smoggy day. If it hurt so bad that it made you cough, it was REALLY bad--and of course we were stupid kids who thought that was cool. How pathetic! LA's versions of kids making snow angels--test with your bodies to see how poisoned you were that day... Thank you "Greatest Generation" for taking such good care of us! But let me say that the air in LA is a LOT better today than it was in the 1960s and 1970s.

Keep breathing people, even if it hurts.

Love,
Pops





No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!