Friday, October 10, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Friday, October 10, 2014

Dear Family, Friends, and Gentle Readers,

The weekend is arriving and here is Friday out on the "Left Coast" (I say that because Obama and Biden have been in town this week, wreaking havoc with the traffic as they go to their various Democratic fundraising events at people's houses around town):



























"Flowing Shadows"

Cloudy and overcast this morning. Nice and cool. There was even fog in the eastern part of the Conejo Valley descending out of Calabasas into Agoura. Made me almost want to stop on the freeway and take a picture, but I didn't feel like a $300 ticket for a nonemergency stop. I did do that once (stop for a snapshot, not get a ticket). There's a marvelous hillside landscape you see on the 101 on that descent. Most of the time it's like a hill covered in golden fur with oak trees clustered here and there. I'll try to find that  and post it for you all.


"A Woman"
There's an artist and illustrator named Paul Landacre whose imagination was captured by these brown hills of the Conejo Valley. He also lived in Silverlake for a time, not too far from me.. If you look at his stuff, it's a lot like the work of Rockwell Kent, but better in my head.

He didn't do a bad job with naked wimmin neither. I think in a lot of ways they were equivalent in his mind.

There was a retrospective show of his work in Santa Barbara probably 30 years ago now. It left an impression on me, like to this day. He needs another show and a really good monograph. If you're a fan of B&W illustration, you really need to check him out.




Have a wonderful weekend.

Love.
Pops



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!