Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hollywood morning picture of the day - Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Dear family, friends, and gentle readers,

Didn't make it into Malibu today. Had to take the car in for maintenance so I am working from home. On my walk home from the mechanic I cut up into East Hollywood's green space, Barnsdall Park. This is a look to the north, to the Griffith Park Observatory.






























View to the west, toward central Hollywood and Beverly Hills
It's a tiny hilltop park where there is a gallery and small theatre for modest city events, but it is also the home of a Frank Lloyd Wright building, Hollyhock House. I've lived here nearly all my 56 years and it has NEVER been open to the public for viewings.


A security guard says that it is now completely refurbished inside, so I am guessing they are waiting to find money to pay staff to open it up. It's not much. There's barely enough room on the grass for 10 families to have picnics.

Part of a student art mural at Barnsdall
There is a classroom complex in which art classes are run for schoolchildren after school and on weekends. I remember going to at least a couple of classes there when I was small.

We can almost pretend this is Pasadena.








There is so much cement and asphalt in this part of town that this tiny "parklette" is some kind of respite. They have to have a lot trees to obscure vista views, otherwise I think you'd be ever looking at the ugly tops of roofs of all the pod malls and apartment buildings.


Hope you're enjoying your Tuesday.

Love,
Pops








No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!