Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wednesday is here, and here is your picture:





















If I were one to give every picture a name, I'd call this one "Dragon's Head Chasing Skin Diver" and I think the skin diver will lose unless the next upstroke is a dusie...

And here's the view just a few clicks to the right, getting away from the sun.

Another graduation is coming up and I'll be doing the job of reading names. I always like to put a call out to the grads that they call my voice mail and leave their name if people always get it wrong. And the mailbox is getting full.

One of my political science professors, a Greek emigre who had taught in many places around the world, told us that American roll calls are the hardest ones because the names are so wide-ranging. I had no idea I would be experiencing that phenomenon in such an applied fashion. Here are some of the more unique names that will occur on Saturday:

Some random orange plant life on campus,
included to break the text ...
Tomik Hambarsomian
Roshawn Helmandi
Quyen Nguyen
Czarina Goco Ofalla
Amanda Phuong Ly
Aleta Cherie Brochue
Piyawan Chantakasem
Armen D. Ekmekji
Birthe Lauchengco
Chieu Dihh Nguyen
Silvya Lyubomirova
Julie Tstatsoline
Hanaka Cordjee
Xianqi Shen
Ruihan Xue
Tatyana Vovchenko
Dauren Kabykenov
Sujata Haresh Israni
Kris Thuvamontolrat
Samuel Okechukwu Iwuajoku II

And there is not single "Smith" or "Jones" or "Johnson," but thankfully two "Garcias" (I'll at least get those two guys right...). My employer is sometimes accused of being not multicultural enough in its admissions. As the guy who's at the tail end of the process, the names do tell us something.

You may have not completed a degree by summer's end like these folks, but I hope you're working on something to check off in 2014. There are seven weeks of summer left, so there's time. Go do it.

Love,
Pops






3 comments:

  1. I particularly enjoyed the "random orange plant life" in this post! Also: it seems like Quyen Nguyen would be a common name / not so unique(?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Nguyen is the Vietnamese equivalent of "Johnson" in the U.S. (there are two in that list). By the way you say that name like "Quinn Wynn," maybe drawing out the "i" in Quinn.

    Man, they hate it when their name is said nuh-GAI-inn... wouldn't you? I like to think there's a Latina out there who married a Vietnamese guy whose name is now "Luz Nguyen."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That one deserves an eye-roll. But I forgot to say in my earlier comment, your interpretation of the clouds was a delightful stroke of creative genius. A small one, but it goes to show you're more like that other Vincent than you think ... (-:

    ReplyDelete

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!