Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Happy Wednesday all. Here's your picture.
















Driving down PCH to campus, the sky looked dark enough to rain, but it won't. Here's the view looking southwest-west.














Bus to Van Nuys at Noho Red Line.
I missed you yesterday. I had to take a trip into continuing education land out in Van Nuys. I learned all about preparing trust tax returns. Peachy keen! Sorry all you thieves, didn't learn any tricks for tax evasion in the Cayman Islands or Switzerland.



7:30 AM in Van Nuys, 6/17/2014





If I had had a laptop with me I would have posted this "Van Nuys morning picture of the day. The sky is just as blue and the clouds just as puffy as out in the 'Boo. Tilt camera down and you will see the working-class, industrial park-and-warehouse district of the central San Fernando Valley.







Oddly, the place makes me nostalgic. I worked for American Savings and Loan in the 80's, the nation's largest thrift failure in the great bank meltdown of the time.

I taught word processing and computer operations for them, and they kept moving my training facility to all kinds of places around this part of the Valley--as one lease expired after the other, I was moved; this should have been a clue to get out.

My former workplace,mid-80s
In fact the place where I was attending this seminar was right across the street from one of my old haunts. Lovely isn't it? My office was downstairs and a small conference room was upstairs where I had a classroom of five IBM Displaywriters and five IBM PC XTs.

I was a bit of a slacker at the time and my boss was in Stockton, so it was a great job to catch up on your reading and do sketching when you didn't have classes to teach or prep for. If I had had ambition, I would have worked on an MBA--but I was a stupid 20-something at the time who still wanted to be an artist but was trying to put food on the table for a wife and two babies.

Van Nuys looks almost exactly the same as 30 years ago. It's like getting in a time machine. Too bad I no longer own a three-piece suit (I owned three of those "white-collar men's uniforms" back then) otherwise I would have completed the illusion.

Have a great day.

Love,
Pops






No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!