Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Malibu morning picture of the day - Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Good morning gentle souls,

Here's what the Almighty wanted me to see today...






















If you've seen pictures of the place I work, there's a big ivory tower (no joke folks) sitting in their front yard. There's a viewpoint with a walkway set up at the base of the tower. They call Phillips Theme Tower.  It's just next to the parking lot that I normally pull up into.

The evergreen tree in the midground is misleading. Makes the scene look more woodsy than it is. If you take a close look at the terrain behind it's good 'ol California chaparral--drought-resistant, fire-prone, low-lying scrub. The type of trees that are endemic to this are are oaks (remember learning that Indians ate a diet high in acorns...?). If you've ever tried an acorn dish, they don't taste good. I think if I were a native Indian who survived western expansion and the gold rush, I'd be very unhappy about genocide, disease, dispossession, institutionalized injustice, second-class citizenship, and the like, but I'd have to be happy about better and more food choices.

Took the bus today so I just walked up to the tower viewpoint to snap my pics instead. Here's the ocean view today ... different than the last two days.



The above has an almost 18th-century English landscape vibe to it. Weird. Turn to the right (below) and blue gets deeper.




I missed my connection to the Malibu bus in Santa Monica and decided to wander into the Santa Monica Place mall to see if I could find any coffee since it would be another 15 minutes before the next 534 came. No luck. But I did snap these off. Malls without people in them are lonely, large, looming spaces.

This view is from the second level of the mall looking out toward the 3rd Street Promenade at about 7 AM.

Outdoor mall seating (above: the white "overstuffed" chairs behind are concrete) made to look like you're in a living room makes me chuckle.

Hope you see something interesting today.

Love,
Pops

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!