Sunday, March 2, 2014

Chapter 9, Part I - "Summons and Complaint"

Dear Gentle Readers:

Chapter 9 is going up in parts. Getting busy with doing people's tax returns. I found one person about $500 refund they were not expecting. I LOVE when that happens. They'll probably blow it all at Vegas though . . . oh well.

Clete has gotten burned by getting involved with the locals so he's decided to dial it back. Some have other ideas, as you'll see.

Have a great week!

Love,
Pops




Personal Journal Entry

U.S. Time:        Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Island Time:    Dragon, Month 5, Day 30, Xingqi 3
Project Date:    Week 4, Day 4

After I was informed that Qin Qin would be allowed to continue on as my research assistant, I set her up on Laptop No. 4. I have been training her to upload my written (input on a computer that is) notes at the end of every research day. I let her scan and likewise upload her compiled notes for her Island history project to an account I had set up for her on the cloud. This has the dual effect of familiarizing her with the proper procedures and it created a digital backup for all of her own work compiled thus far. She’s extremely quick study. You put a mounted magnifying glass in front of her and her bandwith throughput into her head is amazing. Once she got a digital device in front of her, she took off—typing in Dog Island’s primary three scripts. She’s a living argument for species consciousness—why birds know not to settle on power lines after the first guys get fried. She was like a supercomputer whose only input device was a Hayes 2400 baud dial-up modem. I had just put her on DSL and was watching her fly. I’d really like to see what she could do if I took all the friction off of her learning processes.

I’ve been letting her use my satellite phone to conduct her story collection of Island elders who have been decades expatriate. I am tempted to break into her research account and review her notes just so I could maybe get some insight on why the Island is as weird as it is. She’s only 16, but she’s still a scholar, and I believe in respecting another scholar’s privacy until they’re ready to publish, so I refrain. Even if I do peek, I won’t learn much. She records in a written code using a combination of English, written Chinese, Japanese (I forget which script), and something that looks like Tibetan?
I have still learned nothing of why this island seems to be exclusively female. Everybody is cagey about any inquiry I make. The dossier said nothing about this being an island queendom ruled by Chinese Amazon Women. Edgar Rice Burroughs would have loved this place. So where are all the men? I wouldn’t mind hiring a couple of them to do some heavy lifting for me. Qin Qin has to have a father somewhere. But where? Why isn’t that guy providing a decent pair of glasses for his kid? I did ask her once her father but she said she said I should ask Lee about that. And that’s a waste of breath. I shouldn’t meddle, but I’m going to have Sally have a medical missionary investigate this place as a client case.

At any rate, all this conjecture about these people and their oddball customs is useless. I’m not an anthropologist. Monday’s unfortunate escapade with the locals has taught me one thing. I decided to mind my own business. My shoulder still hurts from when I hit the ground. Get the geo data and get out. OK, it can’t hurt to give one kid a job and help another little girl with her math homework and get into college can it? Lum and Xiaomei seem to be able to keep my tutoring gig under wraps so we’re probably safe there.

Despite my resolve, however, things happened to keep me from staying in strict isolation. When day was done and the uplinks were in progress. I was cleaning some tools in a stream that ran near the lab when Qin Qin yelled out to me.

                  “Dr. Wong. Nu’s here to see you.”
                  “Who’s that?”
                  “An older cousin of mine.”
                  “Be right there.” I set everything to dry and headed around to the front. 

A young woman was standing behind Qin Qin watching my assistant complete a scanning episode. Nu was a bit taller than Qin Qin, appearing to be a few years older. She was in typical Island uniform, black and white clothes, really long hair. Hers was in a long braid down her back. I had Qin let me break in on her session for a minute. I brought up an e-mail that my optometrist had sent me. I clicked on a link that took me to a website called “iExam4Cheap.” I started up an interactive beta-test diagnostic application.

                  "What I want you to do is take this test and then call me over at the end. I think you’re going to have to print out a chart or two and set it across away from yourself. Do not click on anything that says ‘Finished’ or ‘Send.’  Can you do that?”
                  “I’m on it.”
                  “Pay careful attention and go slow. That’s the important thing.”
                  “That’s very interesting,” said this taller girl. “You don’t need any more helpers, do you Dr. Wong?”
                  “Not right now. But I’ll keep you in mind. The name’s ‘Nu,’ right?”
                  “Oh! I’m sorry. I’m Nu!” She dipped down straight on one knee, nodded her head and then sprang right back up.
                  “She’s one of the old ones,” said Qin Qin nonchalantly.
                  “I am NOT old,” insisted Nu.
                  “You’re OLD to me. Don’t interrupt, working here.”
                  “If it makes a difference, you’re NOT old to me. I’m Dr. Clete Wong. What can I do for you Miss?”
                  “My mother sent to ask that you attend a meeting this evening after the dinner hour and get your confirmation.”


A meeting, I thought. No other information. Because the host assumes it unnecessary to give a reason. Acceptance of invite was considered a given. I was wondering what I could have done this time. Maybe I dropped something on someone else’s prized spinach garden? Anything is possible in this kooky place. My mood change from friendly to defensive must have registered on her, as her posture tightly controlled and wary. Just remember Wong, you’re not in America and none of your regular rules may be in effect.

                  “Who is your mother and what is this meeting about?” I asked.
                  “I’m sorry Dr. Wong. I’m just assigned to tell you and get your confirmation.”
                  “I’m not going to have to take a bath with someone again, am I?”
                  “A bath? Did you want to? I can advise if that’s what you require.”
                  Qin Qin’s ear perked up. “WHAT BATH? Who did you take a bath with?”
                  “Later, young lady.”

So the story had not made it all around the place yet. Thank goodness. But the interaction with the natives was getting out of control. I decided to fall back to the contract protocol. Back into the academic cool demeanor.

                  “I believe I’m supposed to limit my contact to the designated liaison, Lee. Relate the invitation to her and she’ll determine what I do.”
                  “Ah, yes. My mother said that by the rules for you, you are free to respond to any inhabitant who first reaches out to you.”
                  “I am not going to cross any domain borders until the start of tomorrow’s workday. And then, only authorized ones.”
                  “I was told border crossing to this meeting will not be a problem.”
                  “Talk to Lee.”
                  “You are allowed to come without consulting Lee and asked not to consult her either.”

Hmm. Three pushbacks and still she continues. What is this? This mother wants Lee in the dark about this. The kid’s voice is starting to quaver too. There’s some kind of civil war going on here with Lee and someone else.

                  Qin Qin broke in, “I can tell you who she is and who her mother is.” Nu then glared fiercely at Qin Qin. “Wah, wah, wah, the Dragon stare,” she said again in her nonchalance, “I’m so scared. Guess I I’ll stay quiet then. But I’m used to getting whipped. Because I’m a demon child.”
                  I decided to pushback again. “I already have two appointments this evening. One in direct conflict.”
                  “If that is the case, would you please preempt them?”
                  More persistence. “If this is really so important that I move appointments, I can maybe move one. But I’d really like to prioritize things. I need to know what this about.”
                  The poor girl dropped down on her knees and put her head on the ground and then lifted her head. “Please say yes. I’m running out of things to say. They didn’t tell me it was going to be this hard or that I would have to be this rude.”
                  “Ah finally. You’re using your own words now.” She was crying. A lot of stress on this girl. I got out my bandana and handed to her to wipe her face, which she did. “Who are ‘they’?” The kid started to cry. It made me feel bad for her, but I wasn’t about to get myself into another compromising situation.
                  Qin Qin broke in. “Some things you need to know, Dr. Wong. One, she’s never talked to a man in her life. Two, she’s never talked to an old man in her life. Three, she’s never talked to a foreigner in her life. Four, she’s really shy. Five, her mother probably told her to not take ‘no’ for an answer. She’s that kind of person.”
                  “I’m so sorry for being so forward! It’s the Security Council.”
                  “The Council? Ah. You don’t look like a policeman.”
                  “I am a messenger.”
                  I took my bandana back, dried a few more tears from her face, put my fingers under her chin and lifted her eyes to meet mine. “Time for a lesson in American etiquette. We look at each other in the eye when discussing important things. It’s respectful. We’re equal individuals all. That’s how we signify it to each other. Try it. Fight the urge to look down in respect. Look up. Learn something new. That’s it. That’s the American way.” I drew back my hand.
                  “So you will come to the meeting?”
                  “Did any one of them, the council, tell you to say something like ‘I’m calling in a favor?’”
                  “No, they didn’t.”
                  “Then no. Go to Lee.”
                  “They said Lee serves at their pleasure.”
                  “All the more reason for them to talk to her. Listen. If I have a subordinate and someone who is supposed to talk to them comes directly to me, that’s a slap against the subordinate. I think you call that ‘face’ do you not?” She nodded. “Good. I have a good relationship with Lee and I will not detract from her face. Got that?”
                  “I understand.”
                  “Your mother did not send you with enough power to do the job she gave you. Whoever she is, I want to bitch slap her for sending a kid to do her dirty work. Tell her that. Tell her my exact words. Had you been sent here as a responsible agent, you would be trying to figure out what could you say that will force me to give you the answer you want. And then decide if you want to bear that cost. That is where your power is. Do you understand that?”
                  “I understand.”
                  “Do you have anything else to say to me now?”
                  “No. I will leave you now then.” She looked humiliated.

As she started to walk away, Qin Qin ran over and started talking to her in some foreign language I'd never heard before.


[Reporter’s note from the Guardian of History, Prophecy, and Lore: My recollection of this conversation included for the purposes of continuity of narrative. Conducted in Court Manchurian, but with a little English thrown in.]

                  “What is your mother up to?” I asked.
                  “I don’t appreciate your telling the Scientist all kinds of personal things about me. It’s very rude.”
                  “I think I was confirming things he already knew.”
                  “I don’t know what Mother, or what the Council want.”
                  “You know, for a future Island leader, you’re a pretty pathetic Dragon. But maybe you’re a true Dragon. They’re supposed to create chaos, not order.”
                  “Your attitude has become very high and mighty.”
                  “And why not? I have a job. TWO actually. I have several hundred U.S. dollars in my checking account now. AND I’m an actual Guardian of History. You’re just a Dragon in training.”
                  “You know why you have that history job? Everybody felt sorry for you because you are as blind as a bat. You’re the pathetic one.”
                  “And you don’t think I know that?” I said. “That may be true, but I’m smarter than everyone thinks. I use everything at my disposal whether it comes from pity or sincerity.”
                  “Oh? Then what would you say to Dr. Wong to get him to come to this meeting?”
                  “If I give you an idea and help you, will you be nicer to me?”
                  “Are you saying I’m not nice to you?”
                  “You treat me like an idiot.”
                  “I don’t do that.”
                   “You think about it. Pretend you’re me sometime. OK. I don’t know why I am telling you this. Tell him you are going to be whipped if he doesn’t come.”
                  “That will work?”
                  “In his country they don’t give beatings. He doesn’t have daughters so he thinks we’re delicate flowers or something like that.”

[Dr. Wong’s journal entry resumes.]



                  Qin Qin dragged Nu back over to me and said, “Ask her what will happen to her if you don’t come to this meeting.”
                  “All right. Young lady, what will happen to you?”
                  “If I tell you that I will be beaten by the Council if you don’t come, will that make a difference?”
                  I sighed heavily. “Young lady, if that’s the case, I’ll come with you right now and consult with your mother immediately,” I said.
                  “Told you he was a pushover that way,” said Qin Qin.
                  I glared at Qin Qin. “You’re quickly changing my mind. So you better shut up. IS that indeed the case? That you will get beaten?”
                  “No, it is not the case,” said Nu. “But will you come anyway? Please? It’s at our meeting hall.”
                  “I have my usual dinner appointment with Lee that I must keep. I’ll see if my other appointment can move it. I will send word if I can.”
                  “Who would that second appointment be with?” Nu asked.
                  “I am not at liberty to say.”
                  “Thank you Dr. Wong. I will relay your message.” And with that Nu departed.
                  “She was lying. She’s going to be beaten,” I said.
                  “Maybe,” said Qin Qin matter of factly. “Not that it matters. Don’t worry about her. She’s the Second Dragon Princess. Pretty pitiful future leader if you ask me. But I think I prefer weak leaders because you can do more things. She gets a lot of status from just having that title and having the mother she does. And the Firsts don’t hit really hard. Even when they use a stick.”
                  “You get beaten a lot?”
                  “Maybe. Not so much anymore.”
                  “Fire gets out of control, doesn’t it?”
                  “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
                  “OK. What’s going on between the Security Council and Lee? Spill.”
                  “I don’t know anything about that either. I’m just a little girl.”
                  “YOU are also a bad liar.”
                  “I am a good liar. But maybe I’ll tell you something if you tell ME something.”
                  “Like what?”
                  “One, who did you take a bath with? And two, who is your second appointment tonight?”
                  “You have no business knowing either of those things.”
                  “I’ll find out eventually. I know that the answers are both women. If you’re looking for a girlfriend, let me know and I will set you up with the most desirable woman on the Island. And since we’re talking about her, do you have any more cigarettes, by the way?”
                  “Your mom got ALL my smokes. And trust me kid, getting a girlfriend is the absolute last thing I want.”
                  “You’re not a homosexual are you?” asked Qin Qin.
                  “Is that a polite question to ask on this Island?” I asked. “It’s rude in America.”
                  “You’re asking the demon child? You just don’t seem very interested in women. All the movies and shows we watch on the VCR—the men are always very interested in women.”
                  “Movies are different from life. And it’s young men who chase women all the time. The urge diminishes with age. Thank fuckin’ God. Nothing would ever get done.”
                  “I’ll take that as a no then. You may as well tell me those other things I want to know, about those other women. You’re going to learn that there are no secrets on this Island. Especially to the historian, ME.”
                  “Kid, you’re wrong. From my point of view, there are nothing BUT secrets on this Island. What were you speaking there?"
                  "Manchurian. It's our court language. She didn't want you to know what we were saying."
                  "Well, that's obvious. When you travel, you don't take that kind of thing personally."
                  "Do you know Japanese?"
                  "Only the Berlitz Business Dialect."
                  "What dialect?"
                  "Never mind."
                  "If you think Japanese is complicated with all the particles and honorifics, Court Language is worse."
                  "Why do you all keep speaking it? You might be the only ones in the world."
                  "It's our ancestors' tongue. It makes us who we are. We don't become fully invested as Princesses of the Island until we can make a speech and conduct a proceeding  in it."
                   "Sounds elaborate. Have you done it?"
                   "Yep. On my 15th birthday. Of the Seconds, Nu's Manchurian is the best."
                   "It was very fluid."
                   "She's a true Dragon leader that way. I'll give her that."
                   "Shut down the computers. Finish your uploads tomorrow; I need to get home and talk to Lee.”
                  “What about this online eye exam?”
                  “Oh. Hang on. Let’s get that done.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!