Monday, March 24, 2014

Chapter 9, Part 4 - The First Meeting of the Conspiracy of Second Princesses

Gentle Readers,

Today we get some of the viewpoints of the younger members on this Island. Just warning you, in the second portion, the longest portion, a lot of thoughts get passed around by nine girls in playful speculation of the stranger who has come to town. Despite what some of them say, I think all of them are going to have a bit of fun with this summer project they are setting up for themselves.

If you haven't figured it out, there's a foundational myth on this Island that underlies a lot of their belief system--something Clete would want little to do with at this point. But guess what? He's going to learn more whether he likes it or not.

Thanks for reading,
Pops




Personal Journal of Qin Qin, Guardian Princess of History, Prophecy, and Lore

U.S. Time:             Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Island Time:         Dragon, Month 5, Day 30, Xingqi 3

[Reporter’s note: This is my personal recollection of events later that evening.]

That evening I saw Nu returning Dr. Wong to the Water Domain and I decided to intercept her on her way back home.

    “Did the meeting go well?” I asked.
    She smiled. “It did. Thank you for all your help.”
    “You didn’t make full use of all your leverage.”
    “I’m not as skillful as you. Or maybe I should say guile-ful.”
    “No. But you have cuteness, which I don’t. That’s probably just as good.”
    “I think you’re wrong there, you’re plenty cute.”
    “I’m only cute because I’m the youngest and the smallest. If there were someone younger here, I’d be quite plain. Probably even thought of as a defective.”
    “It’s unusual for you to be here at this time. Did you want something from me?”
    “I was wondering if I could ask you a favor?”
         “What?”
    “Is the Security Council adjourning?”
    “I think they are going to be talking for a long time yet.”
    “What are they meeting about?”
    “They’re probably deciding Dr. Wong’s fate here.”
    “His FATE? They’re not going to kill him? ARE they?”
    “No they’re NOT going to kill him. What an imagination you have! How silly. I have overheard other conversations they have had that they think he’s very disruptive. It seems he has had interactions with Islanders that have led to difficulties.”
    “Why are you looking at ME like that?
    “I think if they could afford it, they’d terminate the research contract. Auntie Feng was assigned to look for any kind of breach of contract to hold over him. So he is the subject of their meeting. Yes.”
    “That’s awful. He’s the only interesting thing to happen on this Island since I’ve been alive!”
    “Don’t exaggerate. Anyway, what did you want?”
    “I want to have a meeting, of the Seconds, tonight too. It would be perfect since most of the Firsts are preoccupied—the important ones anyway. Will you ask everyone to come? I’ll get Ba, Yi, Xiaomei, and Ling.”
    “What’s this about?”
    “Same topic as the Firsts. I know the Junior Council will all come if you ask. They would all just ignore me.”
    “You’re not going to do something stupid are you?”
    “Even if I do, will you still ask them?”
    “Where?”
    “How about the Classroom Annex?”
    “I suggest the Hall of Justice Courtyard. Fei will be the least cooperative but since she’ll be at her own home, she can’t do anything but just sit with us and wait for us to leave.”
    “That’s a great idea. I’ll get my half there.”

It took a little while, but we did get all of the Second Princesses into one place. It doesn’t happen that often. Once a month we all have dinner together, the Royals that is, on the night of the full moon. We were all sitting on benches we had pulled around in the garden courtyard outside of Qi and Fei’s cottage.

    “I am calling to order this first meeting of the Seconds,” I said.
    “You? This is Qin’s meeting? Not yours?” said Fei. “If I’d known that, I would not have bothered.”
    “So are you going to leave and go home then?” asked Ba. She giggled sarcastically as she said it.
    Fei whined “Nuuuuuu?”
    “I don’t what she is going to say, but please hear her out,” said Nu.
    I continued, “I want to say something about Dr. Wong, but before I do, I know he was at the Security Council meeting tonight. Nu would please tell those of us who were not there what was said or decided about him?”
    “When everything was said, they mostly came to a resolution, or a joint understanding, that he was definitely NOT The One. Fei? Jie? Wen? Do you agree?” They all nodded or voiced agreement.
    “Very interesting,” I said. “That they would be thinking about that. I am here today to make the opposite claim. I say that he IS most definitely The One.”
    “You’re crazy!” yelled Fei. “That doesn’t even make sense. He does not act like The One. And all the Firsts there said he isn’t. They gave all kinds of reasons. What makes you so sure?”
     “Mostly I just feel it. It has to be. The time is right. And so he is not allowed to leave until he fulfills his duty to us and to the Island,” said Qin Qin.
    “You’re just feeling gushy toward him because he gave you his old books and magazines and a couple of magnifying glasses,” said Ba.
    “AND, she has a part-time job. That pays REAL money,” said Yi.
    “Don’t be so short sighted,” I said. “Look at the signs. He’s the right age. He’s smart, a scholar. He’s rich enough to have THREE pair of glasses. One for each kind of distance: close-up, nearby, and faraway! THAT is extravagant. Very princely if you ask me.”
    “Aren’t you forgetting a major thing? The One’s title is ‘The Great Prince of Southern CHINA?’” said Xiaomei. “So he’s going to have to be Chinese. Dr. Wong is mei … guo … ren, an American person. What part of that don’t you get?  Your assertion fails right there.”
    “Yeah I know, I know. but he seems to have the right kind of name. Wong sounds Chinese to me.”
    “Wong is not strictly a Chinese name,” said Wen. “It’s so common. It’s like when my mother tells me there are people named Lee in practically every country and culture. Even if it’s not pronounced as in Chinese, it would be ‘King.’ That’s pretty common around the world.”
    “OK, OK, OK. Here’s another thing,” I said. “The One, or the Great Prince, is supposed to come here and claim his princess right? I think he likes my mother. He talks to her whenever he sees her.”
    “Is that really your best argument?” asked Jie. “Doesn’t he have a need to talk to your mother because you are his employee? It would natural that he should have conversations with her.  Because of your working relationship, he has license to talk to her given by the Council. He does not speak to my mother because he was ORDERED not to start conversations with anyone else.”
    “But,” I said, “he gave my mom a rare and expensive present,” Qin Qin insisted.
    “What kind of present?” asked Jie.
    “He gave her mom two cartons of American Marlboro cigarettes. It’s not that special,” Xiaomei remarked.
    “Have you ever seen that brand of cigarette on this Island before?” I retorted.
    “OK. They’re rare here,” said Fei. “We’ll give you that. It’s not like he bought them just for her. He didn’t even know her before coming here.”
    “ANYWAY, how about this? In his science building, get this. He has five, count them, FIVE laptop computers,” I said.
    “I’ve seen them. They’re all beat up and clunky looking. Like little black suitcases. Not even a name brand. Just something like CIA is printed on them. And didn’t that company Earth Dragon buy that for him anyway?” said Ba.
    “So I’m still developing my case for him. It IS my job as the appointed Guardian Princess of History, Prophecy, and Lore to analyze and verify claimants to the title of The One, the Great Prince. I just need some more time and information,” I said.
    “Guardian Princess of History?!” Fei scoffed at me. “That’s not a real job! Not like Xiaomei’s office! You don’t get paid. Don’t get so high and mighty. You’ve only had that appointment for a year and a half,” said Fei. “They just created that for you to entice you to keep on reading and writing. But all you ever do is read your fairy tale books and write fairy tales. I am not convinced.”
    “And, IF he is The One. And that’s a big IF!” said Wen, “There’s not a lot of time to convince us to start with, or our mothers. He’s only here for eight more weeks. The Protectorate’s navy boat will come for him shortly after the Lost Souls Festival,” said Wen.
    “I’ve thought about that and I have a contingency plan. If he does not realize his duty by then, we will kidnap him and hide him until he misses the boat. We can put him in Anto’s Storehouse in the pirate grotto. Then he will have to stay for another three months when the next boat will come,” said Qin Qin.
    “WAIT A MINUTE!” said Nu. “You said ‘kidnap! I’m pretty sure that’s a crime here on Dog Island.”
    “It can’t be a crime if that’s only way to have the Great Prince manifest himself. The whole reason for this Island’s existence is to await his coming.”
    “You’re the only one who thinks he is,” said Fei.
    “Oh yeah? We’ve been talking for a while now. Let’s take a vote. How many think Dr. Wong is The One who has come to save the Island? Raise your hand.” I looked around and only my hand was up. “That’s disappointing.”
    “What if we do your plan and we’re wrong?” asked Ba.
    “He’s delayed getting home and we get lectured. OK maybe beaten ... a little. BUT … what if we do nothing, and I’m right?” I asserted. As I looked around, some of them now seemed a little troubled by that thought. “No possible candidate has gotten here, except him. There are so many protections on this Island. How do you explain that he made it through? And yeah, I read a lot of fairy tales. I have also been reading a lot of the oracles and dreams that have been written about The One. The avatars of the Empress only recently started interpreting the prophecies in a very literal way as a reaction against the last Sea Witch’s attempt to usurp leadership of the Island.”
    “The Witches Rebellion . . .” It was the first time Ling had said a word.
    “The very one. We don’t know much about it. But the Royal House became very paranoid after that and the walls went up between us and The Outside. Our mothers just accepted their mothers’ stance.”
    “And then the Great Surge came,” said Nu.
    “What do you think of all this, Nu?” asked Xiaomei.
    “It’s a lot to take think about. Ling? You’re the eldest,” said Nu.
    “We don’t know enough to decide anything,” said Ling.
    “Agreed. Most of us have not said a word to him!” said Fei.
    “I’ve spoken to him now,” said Nu.
    “So have I,” said Xiaomei.
    “So neither of you think he’s The One?” asked Fei.
    “I know that he is very smart,” said Xiaomei, “an excellent math teacher, and I like him a lot.”
    “I like him a lot too. And I,” said Nu, “I am NOT going to do anything to bother him or harm him. And I won’t allow anyone else to do it either. So get those ideas for kidnapping him out of your head right now Qin Qin. I’m going to watch you.”
    “But Nu,” said Jie, “if a liberal reading is given to the prophecy, do you think it’s possible he might be The One?” said Jie.
    “Dr. Wong is a fine person. But for me to believe he is The One,” said Nu, “I think I’d need a definite sign or signifying event. Why does he not assert himself if he is?”
    “Do you think it’s possible he doesn’t know he’s The One?” Jie continued.
    “I’m having a hard enough time considering the idea of a nonliteral application,” said Nu. “His not even knowing, or maybe discovering that … I suppose that could be?”
    “How would he find out or discover that about himself?” asked Xiaomei.
    “You’re The Questor! Aren’t you supposed to know?” Fei complained.
    “I DON’T KNOW. They just took me to The Shrine one day and gave me that title. I didn’t ask for it. It’s not like they gave me a list of things to look for.”
    “I’m the prophecy guardian,” said Qin Qin. “I’m getting the list together. That’s why you should pay attention when I say I think somebody’s The One. You’re not going to have to look far.”
    “I haven’t seen your list yet,” said Yi. “You keep saying you’re working on it.”
    “I’m sorry that I have bad eyes! I haven’t been able to write very easily until just a couple of weeks ago.”
    “Yeah, so we have nothing to go on except your word. And to me, you’re untrustworthy. Even if he is The One. What is he going to do?” asked Fei.
    “I don’t know,” I said. “It’s not clear. But according the stories, the Prince of Southern China always seems to have a plan. I heard him talking to my mother. He thinks ALL of us girls should be going to college. Not just Xiaomei. Isn’t that something that a person like a father would think? And he wants us to go to HIS college, Yao Ah Seh I think it’s called. Not sure what that means--his Chinese pronunciation is pretty darn bad. Anyway, that’s definitely going to be part of his plans.”
    “That’s U – S – C. In English,” said Nu.
    “What does that stand for?” asked Ba.
    “Probably United States College,” said Nu, “but to go the United States means leaving the Island. That doesn’t sound right,” said Nu.
    “HELLO! That’s what the Prophecy of the Return of the Prince is all about! ‘He is coming back to get his wife and daughter and bring salvation and prosperity to the Island.’ I think prosperity could mean all of the Island’s children get to go to college and maybe, maybe …. hmmm, and maybe all of our mothers get their own refrigerator?”
    “Refrigerators? But that would mean electricity 24 hours a day,” said Ba.
     “I believe THAT would easily fall under the definition of ‘prosperity,’” said Jie.
    “Wouldn’t it be great to get some beef that didn’t come out of a can or dried as jerky? I heard it’s really tasty when fresh,” said Ba.
    “You’re getting off the subject,” I suggested.
    “But USC is in Los Angeles right? Los Angeles is such a dangerous place. It always looks so crowded on the TV shows,” said Ba. “With lots of car chases and explosions and criminals.”
    “So then only one of us leaves the Island with him?” asked Yi.
    “I always imagined in my head when the Prince came, he would claim his princess and settle down here, like Nu suggested,” said Jie. “And if he’s a Prince of Southern China, wouldn’t we then be going to a Chinese university? Or at least Singapore?” said Jie.
    “That’s why I don’t buy him as being The One. He’s American. It’s just like the Firsts said. My mother said he speaks Chinese like a six-year-old boy. She thinks it’s so cute when he tries, she wants to pat his head like a dog,” said Xiaomei.
    “Getting back to what Qin said, what if the stories and predictions about the Prince are  prophetic language? Maybe like some religious writing—it doesn’t have to be literally true?” suggested Jie.
    “I’m not clear how this would work Qin,” said Ba. “The Scientist discovers he’s our Prince and then we tell him, ‘Welcome! Now pick wife and a daughter from among us?’ And then he moves into their cottage?” said Ba.
    “I suppose he’ll be rich enough to build on another room?” said Yi. “Or he would just take over the guest cottage.”
    “Well, how about this? He figures it out after he falls in love with the right woman,” said Nu.
    “But how is that supposed to happen if he’s told NOT to talk to anybody and all the Firsts seem to avoid him,” said Wen.
    “That’s probably not a good theory. He just told me that he is NOT looking for a girlfriend,” I added.
    “There’s only one woman he spends a lot of time with, Auntie Lee. And it’s DEFINITELY NOT going to be her. Do you see the way they fight? Oh uh, sorry Ling.” said Ba.
    “Don’t worry,” said Ling. She was sitting quietly so it was easy to forget she was there. “But you’re right. That will NOT happen. Mama hates him. If in the remotest chance they fell for each other I would have move to China to avoid the bickering. Or maybe the Outside Witches would take me in.”
    “Ling, do you hate Dr. Wong?” asked Fei.
    “What a silly question,” said Ling.
    “Doesn’t it bother you that he always makes your mother angry?”
    “THAT is mother’s own fault. And you can’t hate Dr. Wong. He’s so smart but he keeps messing up and saying or doing the wrong thing. He makes me laugh all the time. I don’t dare do it in front of him, though. He’s almost like a little boy with my mother. Like one time she had gotten a chicken from yards and she told him to kill it and pluck it and he heard wrong and instead dressed it up like a doll. I think he doesn’t want to look stupid in front of her so he doesn’t ask questions and he improvises.”
    “Why does she hate him then?” said Fei.
    “She was the worst person to put in charge of him. She has no patience and no sense of humor,” said Ling. “It would be hard for me to imagine that he is the Prince, and someone who would then want to live here. That’s what it means to be the Prince, The One, right? That’s why I think he can’t be it.”
    “That’s right. He’s a teacher in Los Angeles. Nobody from there would want to live here. It’s a cold climate there. It’s obviously too hot for him here. This is why thinking he is The One makes no sense to me either,” said Fei.
    “I need to hear that whole story about the Prince again. I’ve only heard parts. Qin, you need to tell it,” said Jie. “Why don’t you tell it to us again now?”
    “It’s too long to say the whole thing now. I’ll recite it when the time is right. I only just got Granny Lulu’s version of one part last month. I have to piece it in.”
    “I don’t believe he’s anything like The One, but I’m willing to consider the possibility with a less rigid interpretation of the stories once you make a better case Qin,” Jie said.
    And then Ling finally spoke her piece. “I’m willing to let Qin’s idea be open to investigation. Let me suggest something. Dr. Wong would say this is what you should do if you lack a developed thesis. Just make observations and gather data. The data will tell you what it wants to be asked eventually.”
    “What would that mean?” asked Nu.
    “We should take turns watching him and record everything he does when he is with any of the Firsts. Without his knowing of course,” said Ling.
    “Oh that’s easy,” said Wen. “Jie and I are doing that already.”
    “WHAT? You’ve been spying on him? Since when?” I yelled. “I’ve never seen you around.”
    “My mother asked me to. Early on. But Jie and I have been doing it from the start. We’re just curious. AND we’re better at tracking than you are,” said Wen. “Remember that you have bad eyesight. You can be on the lookout for us now. Bet you still won’t see us.”
    “Oh shut up,” I said.
    “It needs to be all of us,” said Ling, “and we should do it in pairs.”
    “Why pairs?” asked Yi.
    “Some of us might be more partisan to interpret things in favor of their own mother,” said Nu.
    “Why are you all looking at ME?” I said.
    “Wow. If this turns into a competition, THIS will be a lot of fun!” said Ba.
    “Fate is fate,” said Fei. “There is no use anticipating an outcome since if he is here to fulfill a prophecy, it’ll just happen.”
    “Yeah,” said Ba, “but even so, WE don’t know the outcome, so it’ll still be fun to watch unfold.”
    “Why Fei! Sounds like I’ve pushed you into thinking of this as a possibility,” I said to needle Fei.
    “Whatever happens happens. Just so you know, I am not leaving this Island. Ever. Prince or no Prince. This is my home. And I love it here. You can all leave if it comes to that. But I will always be here to take care of this place and all the things that live here.”
    “Well said, my darling.” It was Auntie Qi who said that. She had come behind Fei and put her arms around Fei and they pressed their heads together. At the sound of Qi’s voice, all of the Soul Birds who lived in the courtyard trotted over, flocking around her. She put her hands on all of them, caressing them and calming them with a song.
    “How long have you been there mother?” asked Fei.
    “I just walked up. I promise I only heard your last sentence. If you’ve been sharing secrets. Is that why you’re all here? Goodness! It’s a conspiracy of Seconds!”
    “They were curious about what the Security Council was talking about,” said Nu. “We were giving a report.”
    “Well, we forgot to swear you to secrecy and there are no secrets here anyway. Shall I make you girls some tea?” The warning bell rang.
    “Power’s going off anyway,” said Ling. “It’s late. We’d all better be going.
    “You were so beautiful in your formal robe! But that awful man was an idiot for not selecting your tea, mother. I shall never forgive him for that,” said Fei.
    Auntie Qi sighed heavily. “I don’t know why Feng wanted to set that up like a contest. But, that MAN! How can one person engender so much karma just by walking into a room? Please forgive him, darling. It’s only tea.”
    “Was that Auntie Mu’s tea that he picked?” asked Fei.
    “Yes. And she tried so hard not to be impressed with herself that I actually felt sorry for her. You can tell your mother that if you want, Nu. Good night girls.”

We are The Conspiracy of Seconds, I thought as I walked home. I liked the sound of that.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!