Saturday, December 21, 2013

Chapter 2 "Welcome to Dog Island" from Stay Put, I'll Be Coming for You: A Love Story of Endurance

Dear readers:

For the most part, this novel is presented in the form of journal and diary entries mostly by Dr. Clete Wong, geologist and engineer, but various other portions occur. Following journal entries are usually recalled dialogue. Action basically takes place over eleven weeks in the summer of 2012. "Xingqi" kind of means "Day of the Week," and  days of the week are numbered from Monday through Sunday, 1-7 on the island where action occurs.

A word in advance if you think you might read this whole thing; take notes on who's who because you'll be meeting everyone on this island and they all have monosyllabic names.

Pops


Stay Put, I’ll Be Coming for You:
A Love Story of Endurance

Chapter 2  - Welcome to Dog Island



Entry to Annals 1st draft

Reporter: Qin Qin, Guardian Princess of History, Prophecy, and Lore

U.S. Date:             Sunday, 24 June 2012
Dog Island Date:        Dragon, Month 5, Day 6, Xingqi 7

At 0900 western time a military helicopter arrives and sets down on the strand. Appears to be U.S.; not the Protectorate. We herd them coming long before we cud see them. It was very eksiting. We were told to stay away and stay inside. (No way I wud do that.)

They do not turn off the propelurs. So much wind. And noise. Big side door opens and a man in uniform jumps out. He puts down a platform and helps other man exit. Second man is the scientist. He wears white shirt with long sleeves, hat with big brim, sunglasses, jeans, and boots. Other man in helicopter hands several bags with handles down to scientist.  Three large, two medium. Old Rex comes out and moves the scientist away from the helicopter. First man closes platform and gets back on helicopter. Door is shut and helicopter goes away.

The scientist starts to pick up his bags, but Rex tells him to leave them and he takes him into the Protectorate. Rex seems to be walking straight today. Probly has not had a drink yet today. The scientist seems to have a little limp too.
Half hour later Lee arrives with jeep and trailer. She and the scientist load up baggage and go to the guest cottage.

[Reporter’s Note: I decided to use English for all entries regarding the scientist. Seems like a good match. I am out of practice. I need to find the dikshunary. I think it hasn't been used since Matsumoto Sensei left us. I hope he finds something intrusting here. But it is pretty boring. ]


* * *

Personal Journal Entry

Week One, Sunday, June 24, 2013

The helicopter ride was hot, uncomfortable, and noisy. I can barely recall any of it even though it was just this morning. The crew was polite, but I was just luggage to them. Even so, I must remember to write a note to the “Captain” for arranging it. Guess we’re even now.

A fat, dark-skinned, old man dressed in a khaki uniform came out to meet me. The hair frizzing out from below his broad brim looked like clouds of cotton. I started to pick up my bags but he told me not to bother and told me to follow him inside. Conversation went something like this:

“Wow, it’s pretty hot here. And the humidity!” I said.
“What are you talking about?” said the old man. By his response I knew then that I was in for some hard-won acclimation.
“Kind of odd that there’s nobody out observing. You’d think a chopper landing is not the usual thing to have happen.”
“It’s not. Only things that come here are boats. Oh, they are all watching, trust me. They are just keeping their distance,” assured the old man. “I’m Rex. I understand you have brought your own food, Dr. Wong?”
“Call me Clete. Yes I was told that I was to avoid initiating any contact with the locals and so I am provisioned to act separately and autonomously and to work around them.”
“That’s right. No outside contact. Your agency is very special.”
“How’s that?”
“I’m talking about how they got this research project approved and got you on this island. Don’t think they expected anyone to ever follow through with a permit. Let alone drop a storage building here. I don’t how you did it. There have been research permits granted before, but nobody ever bothered to follow up once they studied the dossier. I think it has just been a minor income stream for them without having to actually deliver anything. They just sell paper.”
“Who have been some of the other licensees?”
“The Japanese government, the Russian government, the Chinese government . . .”
“That explains it. They probably have tons of bureaucracies to get through.”
“And the U.S. doesn’t?”
“This project is . . . let’s just say it’s privately funded. Done that way, there’s a lot less hands for money and permissions to travel through.”
“Still,” said Rex in a tone of amazement, “that was one helluva massive chopper that brought in the shed. Must be hard to organize that.”
“Not really. I just went to my address book hired my usual contractors who move big stuff all around the world. This was a piece of cake.”
“And just who are you again?”
“I’m just a doctor of geology donating some research to some do-gooders back in the States.”
“Bullshit if I can believe that. How does a NGO egghead get an American naval warship and helicopter to drop him off on this speck of dust in the Pacific?”
“It’s complicated. But I can say it in two words: favor bank.”
“Whatever. My advice to you here is to be invisible and speak only to me and your island liaison. Some are extremely unhappy that you are here.”
“That’s unfortunate. Well, I’m only conversant in English so I don’t expect that will be happening here.”
“English is one of the primary languages for oral communication here.”
“Really? Why is that?”
“This island has been under several jurisdictions in its history. It has been administrated by English-speakers or by people who use English as an official or commercial language, so there you have it. The longest recent master was the U.K. The U.S had a presence here at some point in the island’s history as well.  The culture is somewhat Chinese due to the ethnic makeup and the ancestral migration here. The place is at least tri-lingual. They don’t write it so good. Official records and correspondence is usually done in Chinese or Japanese.”
“What else do they speak?”
“Same things. Mandarin Chinese. Japanese. Couple other things that I can’t make out. Korean maybe? Some Southeast Asian tongue too.”
“Why Mandarin Chinese I wonder? I’d expect Cantonese or Hokkien or Hakka. When did the Chinese migrate here? Since 1949?”
“Oh God no. They’ve been here forever. Who the hell cares? All their names are Chinese. I can’t keep ’em straight. All sound the same to me—Ba, Na, Fa, Ma. They all look alike too.”
                  His last comment ticked me off. “Yeah? And Fuck you too! C’mon man. If you’re going to slur me, try to come up with something original. Jesus fuckin' Christ!”
                  “The hell? You’re Chinese? Wong? I guess so. Yeah! Sonofabitch. Hey I don’t mean it that way anyway. They’re related, so they DO look alike. No offense guy.”
                  “What else?” I say.
“I’ll be your primary contact to the national defense authorities. I call in the navy if they have any kind of security or sovereignty problem. Pirates sail these waters, they have for centuries, but since there’s nothing here, they never bother this island. Just so you know, I’m scheduled to cycle off in few weeks and there’ll be a gap of a few weeks till the next officer comes on, so you’ll be by yourself with the natives until someone comes to pick you up after Week 12. But I’ll be available for a while. I was told you brought your own satellite dish for communication uploads?”
“Yes, that’s correct. I just have to unpack it, assemble it, and calibrate it and we’re in business.”
“Your shed should have juice. I hooked it up to the grid, such as it is, myself. Be aware that there’s only electricity during daylight hours unless you make special arrangements with the First Water Guardian Princess.”
“With who? Did you say ‘princess’?”
“I did. I hear her jeep approaching. She’ll be right in. Her name’s Lee. Do not get too concerned by that title. There are several around here. ‘Princess’ means the same thing as ‘supervisor’ or even ‘citizen’ around here.”
The screen door snapped open and a small, slim woman strode in. She had on a wide-brimmed straw hat, a white linen tunic, sensible black trousers that went down to just above the ankles, and on her feet were rubber-soled trail shoes. She pulled off her hat. She was medium tan with fewer wrinkles than one would expect a woman of her what I would guess to be 50-something years. Her jet-black hair was gathered up into a massive top knot.
“You are Dr. Wong I presume?” She strode in. Her movements were jerky, aggressive, and abrupt. She seemed very stern and impatient. She oozed hostility.
“Yes, please call me Clete.”
“Very well.  Clete it is. I am Lee. You will be talking to me about all matters concerning and during your stay.”
“Lee, how about a nice ‘Welcome to Dog Island’?” suggested Rex. She glared at him. She then turned her stern gaze to Rex.
“You through talking to him?” snapped Lee to Rex.
“I guess I am,” said Rex. “Good luck Doc. Feel free to come see me anytime.”
“You! Come along!” she barked at me. “I need you to help me put your large luggage in the jeep. Clete.”
“Yes ma’am.”
“You call me Lee.”
“Got it. Lee.” Best to follow her lead on tone and conversation. I worked with her in silence loading the luggage into the jeep. She motioned me into the passenger seat and she took them down a dirt path to the guest cottage where I was to stay. It was a very simple pre-fab affair. Just as silently we unloaded the jeep. She showed me the cottage, with its spare furnishings and few appliances. She saw me sweating profusely and disappeared for a moment and brought back a towel.
“You all right? You look ill. Like you are about to collapse.”
“Sorry. It’s a LOT hotter and wetter here than in Los Angeles. I’m rather stifled. Goddamn, it’s not even 10 yet.”
“There is usually rain around noon. It will feel better after that for you. I forget about the weather. Long time since we have had tourists. My daughter and I are in the cottage right there. Her name is Ling.” She pointed out the window. “If you need anything I am usually inside or in the garden area adjoining. My daughter will wash your laundry for a fee. Just leave it in the basket there. Oh, and so you know, he is nearly always asleep at the desk.”
“He?”
“The government man.”
“Oh, Rex.”
“They are useless. The three old men they rotate in here; they sleep in their shed. You will breakfast with me tomorrow.”
“That’s OK I brought some provisions. . .”
“You WILL breakfast with me tomorrow. We will go over essential things. Right now, you, rest.”
“Aye, aye.  You don’t have to convince me. What time?”
“Daybreak. I will knock on your door. Do you have any questions for me?”
“Yeah, a lot, but I’m afraid I’ll get slapped.”
“Is that supposed to be a joke Dr. Wong?” Lee was utterly deadpan.
“Maybe. Your highness.”
Lee opened her mouth but hesitated. She waited a beat then spoke. “Do NOT ever call me that! Is that understood?”
“Uh. Yeah. Clearly.”
“What did Rex tell you about us?”
“That some are extremely unhappy that I’m here. You’re one of them, aren’t you?”
“I will say this. We both have our jobs to do. As long as we fulfill our duties with competence and the most basic of courtesy, I am sure that we will get along fine. Do you not agree?” Three-second pause with intense stare. “Clete?”
“I couldn’t agree more. I have no questions. And I look forward to our morning meeting. Thank you for your kind attention.” Mimic native custom, three-second pause with intense stare. “Lee.” That seemed only to piss her off more.
“Electricity is on from 6 a.m. until one hour after sunset. There is sometimes a noon hour blackout too. Good day. See me if you need something.”

I should note that I frequently offend my hosts in foreign countries, not purposefully, but they chalk it up to my casual American cluelessness and cut me slack. I later figure them out. This broad definitely has a stick up her ass, but I guess I could have played it better. She reminds of a real up-tight great-aunt of mine from when I was kid. That woman never smiled—looks like Lee doesn’t either. Lee has that kind of voice that sits right in the middle of her mouth like the back of her throat is full and her English sounds slightly intonated in the way that Chinese speakers will throw the vowels up or down. Her English has a slightly British inflection to it as well. A linguistic remnant of the U.K. occupation. 

First impression could have been a lot better. Oh well. Since I’ll only be speaking to her, the bright side of this awkward start is it’ll keep the chit-chat at the bare minimum. I should have thought to do that on purpose. Gotta put that one in the strategy book. “Be an asshole on your first contact if you want to be left alone.”

© 2012 Vincent Way, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be truthful and frank, but be polite. If you use excessive profanity, I'll assume you have some kind of character flaw like Dr. Wong. Tks!